586,103 active members*
3,466 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1 drive 3 axes and mach 3

Hi,

I have an old milling machine with mobile mast. It has 3 axes but only one servo motor. Switching between axes is achieved with electromagnetic clutches. It cannot move more than one axis at the time. Is it possible to configure Mach3 so it can drive the machine?

It is not actually this machine on the picture but it is the same.

thanks

Re: 1 drive 3 axes and mach 3

I guess I can picture how that would work. I'm pretty sure you could do it, but it would be even better if you updated it to use the 3 axis independently and not a whole lot more work really. Really, you can do just about anything with Mach 3 if you are willing to buy the right hardware and have the time on your hands.You would need a controller with a good selection of outputs, and if it's analog you would also need an analog controller (probably is analog if it's like the machine in the photo). An analog controller would make sense because you don't have consistent mechanical connection between the motor and the axis drive system. In analog systems, there would be feedback for each axis which allows the controller to correct the motion if needed. I imagine that if I were doing this, I'd have relays to turn the clutches in or out, and a time delay before and after any motion happens so there is time for the clutch to fully engage or disengage. I'd then write something like M31, M32 and M33 to deactivate all clutch relays first, then activate clutches X, Y or Z respectively, with a M35 to deactivate all three of those clutches when the program is done. You'd have to have something like:

M31 (short dwell, deactivates all clutch relays, then activates X clutch relay, short dwell)
    X 100 F50
    M32 (short dwell, deactivates all clutch relays, then activates Y clutch relay, short dwell)
    Y200
    M33 (short dwell, deactivates all clutch relays, then activates Z axis relay, short dwell)
    Z50
    M35 (short dwell, deactivates all clutch relays)

The trick would be programming the thing. I'm not sure what software you'd use these days that could program a single axis at a time. I think making it have 3 servos would be just as easy and would add a lot more capability, plus you'd be able to use modern software a bit more to it's fullest.

Thanks for the tips. Looks like that the best way is that I buy 3 servo drives and have a real cnc machine.

That is a big machine...