586,060 active members*
4,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Tool Change Time Not Calculated in Simulation

Tool Change Time Not Calculated in Simulation

I apologize if this has been asked before. I was unable to find specific info using the search forum tool.

I'm trying to tune up my estimated time calculations to more closely match my actual machine time. The problem I am running into is that BOBCAM is not calculating any time for the Changing Tool Time field in the simulation window. I get believable numbers for "Feed Rate Time", a little too quick "Rapid Rate Time" due to the no account acceleration mentioned in previous posts, and a big fat goose egg for the "Changing Tool Time" and "Waiting Time" filed. I assume that the Waiting Time must be in there for dwells but I couldn't get that field to change even when adding dwells to a drilling operation. I don't use dwells and really don't think I care about that field unless someone can tell me otherwise.

I can see that the BC_3x_Mill.xml can be edited with a field for both toolChangePosition and toolChangeTime to no effect.

<bobcad_definition>
    <machine>

<machine_model version="1.000000" type="mill" axis="3" rot="0" units="inch" />
    <post_processor name="Bridgeport DX-32 VMC - JDM Rev 3.MillPst" />
    <cutting_conditions name="CuttingConditions.ccond" allow="true" output="false" />
    <tool_pattern name="ToolPattern.tpatt" />
    <nc_filepath name="C:\BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAM V4\NC\Mill\" />
    <nc_extension name=".txt" />
    <machine_params toolChangePosition="15.000000" toolChangeTime="15.000000" maxSpindle="6000.000000" maxFeed="400.000000" rapid="400.000000" maxTools="22" />
    <posting_params programNum="100" outputAbsoluteIncrementalType="0" subProgramStartNumber="10" subProgramNumberInc="1" lineStartNumber="10" lineNumberInc="10" />
    <sub_programs use="false" />
    <comments use="true" />
    <multiaxis arcs="false" />
    <lathe_toolpath_output type="0" />
    </machine>

Can someone in the know please direct me to the switch that must be turned on to add up the tool changes or the problem with my variable in the .xml file?

Re: Tool Change Time Not Calculated in Simulation

Quote Originally Posted by jmullett View Post
    I apologize if this has been asked before. I was unable to find specific info using the search forum tool.

I'm trying to tune up my estimated time calculations to more closely match my actual machine time. The problem I am running into is that BOBCAM is not calculating any time for the Changing Tool Time field in the simulation window. I get believable numbers for "Feed Rate Time", a little too quick "Rapid Rate Time" due to the no account acceleration mentioned in previous posts, and a big fat goose egg for the "Changing Tool Time" and "Waiting Time" filed. I assume that the Waiting Time must be in there for dwells but I couldn't get that field to change even when adding dwells to a drilling operation. I don't use dwells and really don't think I care about that field unless someone can tell me otherwise.

I can see that the BC_3x_Mill.xml can be edited with a field for both toolChangePosition and toolChangeTime to no effect.

<bobcad_definition>
    <machine>

<machine_model version="1.000000" type="mill" axis="3" rot="0" units="inch" />
    <post_processor name="Bridgeport DX-32 VMC - JDM Rev 3.MillPst" />
    <cutting_conditions name="CuttingConditions.ccond" allow="true" output="false" />
    <tool_pattern name="ToolPattern.tpatt" />
    <nc_filepath name="C:\BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAM V4\NC\Mill\" />
    <nc_extension name=".txt" />
    <machine_params toolChangePosition="15.000000" toolChangeTime="15.000000" maxSpindle="6000.000000" maxFeed="400.000000" rapid="400.000000" maxTools="22" />
    <posting_params programNum="100" outputAbsoluteIncrementalType="0" subProgramStartNumber="10" subProgramNumberInc="1" lineStartNumber="10" lineNumberInc="10" />
    <sub_programs use="false" />
    <comments use="true" />
    <multiaxis arcs="false" />
    <lathe_toolpath_output type="0" />
    </machine>

Can someone in the know please direct me to the switch that must be turned on to add up the tool changes or the problem with my variable in the .xml file?

I did not notice that either but it doesn't appear to work in V26 Pro Simulation as well. I don't have the "Waiting Time" field so obviously can't test it but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't hooked up either.

In V26 in the "Technology" folder there is an XML file named "MachineDefinitions". In it there is this note:

2. toolChangeTime=”5.0” Value is entered in seconds. Again we need to discuss whether or not we need this value

I guess it was decided that it was not needed.

I actually created a program a few years back in visual basic that calculated precise machining times.

It took tool change time, machine acceleration and deceleration move times on every change in direction. Worked quite well. It had a 3D toolpath viewer, upload the code, view and other features such as tool, material selection.

Here is a picture of the interface

I just made it up for myself as a college project
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc_time_estimator_program.jpg  

The last V26 update (Build 1482 26 Sept) I believe does adress some run time calculations, here is the line from the release notes, doesn`t say anything specific but it does refer to calculation of times between operations which I would think must include tool changes, how I don`t know but that`s what it says ! !

Improved cycle time calculations between operations

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by fidia View Post

I just made it up for myself as a college project

That is an undertaking I bet

Quote Originally Posted by fidia View Post