586,116 active members*
3,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Lathe control software? what is Available out there

Lathe control software? what is Available out there

I`m looking for lathe software that's "STABLE" in the past I have used AH-HA and it worked great but its dos based and getting to hard to keep computers running for it. so I`m looking for something that works on newer computers and is " STABLE" ,,, I need to run lights out on a small X/Y slide machine and would like to find something with canned cycles and can thread .

I don't know about mach3 at all but it does not sound stable enough for what I`m looking for. does anyone have any input on Kflop lathe software?
    Thanks

Re: Lathe control software? what is Available out there

I haven't used KFlop on a lathe, but on my two KFlop mills it is dead-stable and reliable. I've never heard anything but praise for the stability and reliabilty of KFlop on any kind of machine, including lathes. And if you do find a bug, Tom Kerekes, the designer, will typically fix it within a day or two, and put out a new software release. I don't think you'll find anything better.

Regards,
    Ray L.

LinuxCNC
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Probably not much of a surprise to those who read most of what I post, but, I am running Flashcut CNC on my Denford. Stable, reliable, Straight forward and easy to learn.... has everything I could ask for. Threads great, Toolchanger works great..... I Could not ask for more. It's a little more cash up front, but it never lets a guy down.

I too used Ah-ha many years ago. They did have a nice looking development in their day.... a bit slow for machines other than a slow mill or lathe and no lookahead, but hey, that was back in 1995ish !

The machine we had Ah-ha installed on got converted to Flashcut somwhere around 1997 and is still running to this day with the original Ah-ha driver cabinet and Flashcut as the control. Perhaps you could use your existing Ah-ha box and just retro a Flashcut Signal Generator into place. I'd have to do a little digging, but I might even have the pinout drawings I made back then.

From what I recall, I made a simple cable between the Ah-ha DB connector and the Flashcut SG. Easily done in a days time.
    Chris L

I'm CNCing my G0602 lathe right now and using KFlop and KStep. It is coming along nicely. I'll have an update in my G0602 build thread soon. I haven't decided if I'll use the Mach3 plugin or a native control application.
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

that's one of the things I have looked for does Kflop support threading and drilling canned cycles ? G71,G72, G74, g76 ETC

I really don`t want to have to deal with mach3

Quote Originally Posted by D.D.Machine View Post
    that's one of the things I have looked for does Kflop support threading and drilling canned cycles ? G71,G72, G74, g76 ETC

I really don`t want to have to deal with mach3
    You should really be asking these questions on the Dynomotion forum, where you can get the absolute correct answers straight from Tom Kerekes.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I use linuxcnc on my lathe all there and bobcad aß cam ..

D.D.Machine

If AH-HA worked for you all this time, then Mach3 would do everything you are doing & more, there are many options, for controls, & they are all good

Eding CNC

Plant-CNC

Linuxcnc

Flashcut

Dynomotion

This is just a few of what is available, some are easier than others to integrate, this is the main thing to look at, they are all reliable
    Mactec54

If you are in Hobby area mach3 might be ok Windows is not an real time System ...

Apart from Kflop, One of the closest to an industrial CNC controller is a multi-axis motion card, e.g. Galil etc, there is Camsoft that offers a front end for Galil and there is also a Mach plug in for Galil, but I have yet to give it a try.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I'll recommend Eding CNC. I've not used it yet but it's going to be on my latest project coming up soon. The software is available for download from there website to check it out. Two main reason I like it, is that the hardware and software are made from the same manufacturer. Second, it's USB/Ethernet and it runs on the latest Windows OS. From what I've been finding it's super stable and has no serious bugs.

Don't let the Windows OS scare you away, I run a Trak 1840sx lathe that runs on Windows XP and is super reliable. Never had any issues with the control.
    www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

Btp Then call yourself Lucky i bought an German Mill which comes with win nc pc After 100€ in millers and 3 different xp machines i spent another 200€ in millers on mach3
    And That Money is only Break Claused by Stalling the machines my fault Breaking millers are Not in That Bill so Lucky you ,.. Now on Same physical pc on linuxcnc no Issue ,.. But i Heard- and saw People with working combinations ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

LinuxCNC... DEAD STABLE.. I have not used the lathe portion yet but I understand it is quite nice with a good graphical layout. It supports constant surface speed and true rigid tapping as well. Plus it is almost infinitely configurable and best part it is totally free and open source.

Pete

I Agree Last week i have changed my lathe to the gmoccapy GUI now it is pretty as well -

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk