586,114 active members*
3,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

touch probe and Mach3

I finished my touch probe like the one at the link http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/probe.htm. Thanks Graham!
    Now I am not sure how to hook it up with mach3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Devin

I figured it out.
    I set up a pin under "config" / "ports and pins" / "input signals" from the menu in mach3 to be my probe pin. I then made two connections for the wires coming from my probe on my printer cable. 1 wire goes to the common ground on my cable and the other is on pin 11 of the cable. You can use pins 10-13 or pin 15 for the probe.

Devin

devin how is it working?

Devin,
    have you had a chance to use your probe to actually "scan" anything in??

I was thinking about making one of these but wanted to see how you felt like the "return on investment" was for you??

Thanks
    bluesrocker222

The probe worked but not without flaws. The three prongs that rest on the ball bearings would get stuck ever so slightly and give less than consistent results. I knew it was a flaw in the way I cut the part and put it together.
    However, while surfing around for a solution, I found a fella making these for a really good price. I couldnt resist so I bought his and it works like a charm.
    His can be used as a tool height setter as well. This probe is well worth the investment of time or money, as I use it as a center finder for holes,edge finder, setting up home on jigs, and of course probing parts. Im sure there are even more uses for it as well.
    I will try to dig up the url for the guy selling the probe so you can see his design. It is very similar to the one I built.

Devin

Thanks Devin

I appreciate the help. I am just getting started but would like to find a way to scan in parts and then fire them back to the CNC and cut. Cool beans.

I also purchased a probe from a guy that was making them for a decent price. I understand how to use it for finding edges, hole centers, etc.

What programs are needed in order to probe an object automatically (for example follow around the outside edge of an object, or probe the inside of a funnel shaped object)? Is there anything available? How is it saved?
    Supermax YCM-40 Mill, Mach3, G320's, RogersMachine, PMDX-122 ---- Slowly coming up to speed... (that's me, not the machine)

Mach3 has a wizard for probing. The info is saved as a point cloud. this cloud is imported into a cad program to be cleaned up and then a cam program to generate your gcode to cut the part.

I will have to try it and see how it works.

I just purchased a copy of Alibre Design, so I think I should be able to open the point cloud file up in there to work with it. Then to a CAM program to create the gcode.
    Supermax YCM-40 Mill, Mach3, G320's, RogersMachine, PMDX-122 ---- Slowly coming up to speed... (that's me, not the machine)

builder of touch probe?

Radioactive,
    Do you have the contact info on where you got your touch probe? Devin is looking for his info as well and I wanted to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesrocker222 View Post
    Radioactive,
    Do you have the contact info on where you got your touch probe? Devin is looking for his info as well and I wanted to compare.
    Here's where I got mine...

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...ic,5004.0.html

Quote Originally Posted by radioactive View Post
    What programs are needed in order to probe an object automatically (for example follow around the outside edge of an object, or probe the inside of a funnel shaped object)? Is there anything available? How is it saved?
    take a look at my probing software work in progress. www.razordance.co.uk/probe25D.htm - it may be what you're looking for.

cheers

Outstanding!

Stirling,
    I really like your probing routine. It seems you've figured out the "change of direction" issue very nicely. I'm going to load it into my machine this week and give it a go. You working on a "final release" version? What about purchasing or donations to your effort?????

I've just uploaded version 1.1.3 to my site so - sorry - but you may want to re-download. Just a couple of trivial mods. When and if I ever get time I may get back to it for improvements - depends on feedback really which to-date has been pretty quiet despite literally hundreds of downloads.

Thanks for the comments - it's not my intention to charge for it - it's a gift to the Mach community for fun and for the help I've received in the past. That said if it works for you and you want there's a comment on the ULA tab re: "donations to the cause", but to be honest, you're the first person to offer - and that's good enough for me - thanyou. Past users please note: older versions than 1.1.3 have an old email address which no longer works.

Cheers

Ian

any schematic diagram of touch probe