586,035 active members*
3,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Can't edit on OT fanuc!!!

Hi all!

I just took delivery of a lovely little Takisawa lathe and installed it in my garage. It all seems to work except for edit mode which won't allow me to do anything! Can't alter/delete/insert/delete programs etc

Any ideas gratefully recieved!

[email protected]

Yes! I've got the key lock off!

this may be too obvious but caught me before ,is the key turned to write or is it locked out
    idiot proofing

Yeah! It is turned to edit. I even took the panel off and put a jumper across the wires to make a connection in case it wasn't connected but to nom avail!

Maybe it needs to be disconnected to allow write? Should I cut the wire? Is this a parameter?

i wouldnt suggest cutting wires on a new machine ,must be something simple , youve got me stumped , its got to be some sort of idiot proofing ,problem with a lot of the safety features is a guy spends too much time figuring it out , is there any kind of mode type button that needs to be enabled?

Mode button?

only a guess

we just got a toyoda and in the few times that ive worked on it i've grown to hate it ,i have to use the mode button along with any other button such as job mode memory mode (pushing both buttons) , i like to simply press the darned button and it works , seems to me fanuc is very inconsistent in its control panel

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    seems to me fanuc is very inconsistent in its control panel
    Fanuc do not usually supply the control panel, only the crt/keypad, Any button, function switch etc, is supplied and wired in to the PMC as the machine tool builder sees fit.
    This is why machines differ so from make to make.
    There are usually three different inputs that can be used to lock out either Programs, Tool Offsets, or Parameters, but the machine tool builder will often only use one lock-out switch for all three or just the program edit.
    In the diagnostic or ladder screen, see if the BMI bit for the edit enable is a 1, this is register G122 bit#3 (4th bit from right).
    This will appear as an output G122.3 in the ladder.
    I trust you have a operators manual?.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Fanuc do not usually supply the control panel, only the crt/keypad, Any button, function switch etc, is supplied and wired in to the PMC as the machine tool builder sees fit.
    Al.
    thats what i thought , every one of our machines is fanuc and every one is different from the other ,

any luck with the lathe?

By the way. The machine isn't brand new. Just new to me. It is probably around 1987. Just found a way to delete programs by setting parameter write to on and turning off the machine. Turn back on while holding delete button and it is supposed to clear the part programs. Is this correct?

Yeah! Fanuc sucks in the consistency area!!

Thanks for the help.

Editing nicely now, Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by steedspeed View Post
    Thanks for the help.

Editing nicely now, Phew!
    what did you do to get it working?

called Takisawa USA and did what I was told! Great service considering the machine is probably 15 years old. They also helped with a tool change problem. Fix for tool change was to tell the machine to grab tool 100 and it stopped rapid move to chuck before change. Must have cancelled something when it read the higher tool number. Now it changes without moving first.

i'll keep that in mind if i ever have an editing problem

Question delete

just by chance is the program number in the 8000 or 9000 range.
    Might be write protected in the parameters.

By the way. The machine isn't brand new. Just new to me. It is probably around 1987. Just found a way to delete programs by setting parameter write to on and turning off the machine. Turn back on while holding delete button and it is supposed to clear the part programs. Is this correct?
    Not sure about holding the Delete key down while powering up, but BE CAREFUL. Holding down the Cancel key (I think) and the Delete key while powering up not only deletes all you programs but also deletes all your parameters. Not good. In fact a catastrophe.

Now that you can edit, I would download all the parameters "Just in case." Write down the 900 parameters as I don't think they get downloaded with the rest of the parameters. If I remember correctly, the 900 parameters are for machine options.

I am sure someone here will correct me if I am wrong.

Hi all!

I just took delivery of a lovely little Takisawa lathe and installed it in my garage. It all seems to work except for edit mode which won't allow me to do anything! Can't alter/delete/insert/delete programs etc

Any ideas gratefully recieved!

[email protected]
    Have you enabled the proper parameters that allow you to write in the program? Depending on what we are doing on our KIA lathes (Fanuc controllers), I have to enable certain parameters, as well as have the write protect key off, and in edit mode.