586,596 active members*
3,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

table top cnc

I wanted to introduce myself. I am a newbie to CNCZONE andto cnc / mill in general. I was always interested to build a DIY CNC, so I havebeen surfing the net for information. I would like to build a table top cnc about24” X 24” of cutting area. I am looking to cut aluminum plates. So I need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance!!

Re: table top cnc

50chevy

Welcome to CNCZone, hope you enjoy your time here. I would suggest you do a 'lot of reading' of many of the threads here on CNCZone about DIY CNC machines. Understanding the variables involved in building a rigid CNC machine capable of effectively cutting harder materials takes some 'learning'. I think you will find many people here willing to help but there isn't an easy way of building this type machine (other than buying a kit) without spending some time understanding the various challenges facing you. Can it be done, absolutely, many have succeeded.

Good luck in your project, the first successful cut you make with a new machine can be very gratifying.....

You may find the numerous build threads very educational. Some are pretty much a step by step build of a particular design or kit. Along the way, problems may crop up which become a learning aid for the builder and the reader. They will also give you an indication of how much it will cost to get to the point of making that first cut. We have no idea what your budget is but a lot of people are surprised by the total cost (hardware/software/tools/learning curve time) so research will give you a much better background about what you are wanting to do.

Don

atwooddon, thank you for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by 50chevy View Post
    I wanted to introduce myself. I am a newbie to CNCZONE andto cnc / mill in general. I was always interested to build a DIY CNC, so I havebeen surfing the net for information. I would like to build a table top cnc about24” X 24” of cutting area. I am looking to cut aluminum plates. So I need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance!!
    During your surfing of the web you most likely encountered several kit manufacturers in many configurations and sizes. You have taken 2 important steps, first you have determined your cutting area and secondly the material to be cut. Since you will be cutting aluminum plate you should focus on machines fabricated from steel and aluminum component for the best rigidity. although a wooden framed machine is certainly capable of performing this task depending on the tolerances required. Your next goal is to select the ones that will fall within your budget, which you most certainly will over run. Try to target 2 or 3 machines from the group and then pick one that will satisfy your requirements. Be forewarned 'cheap' is a relative term, price and quality have to be carefully scrutinized, and both don't necessarily come in the same kit.

hello PLCAMP, this what I was looking at on eBay the other day. 6040 CNC Router ENGRAVER Easy Operation Four Axis High Precision New Generation | eBay . it is smaller then what I wanted. what do you think of this one ? has anyone else used this? how did it perform ? how was the customer service after the sale ? you know all the questions that a new guy asks. thanks !!

or should I just build one the size that I need ? any thoughts ....

how was the customer service after the sale ?
    I wouldn't expect any customer service on any Ebay machine from China.
    What thickness aluminum plate do you plan on cutting? These are lightweight machines. They can cut aluminum using many very light passes, but they're not very efficient at it
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ger21, I am thinking up to 1" plate.
    I was also hesitant about the machine's strength. that is why I was also asking about a DIY machine.

ger21, I am thinking up to 1" plate.
    I was also hesitant about the machine's strength. that is why I was also asking about a DIY machine.
    pay close attention to Ger21's advice, he has a lot of experience with the cnc machines and has provided me with invaluable info for my personal wood cnc router build. 1" thick is a healthy plate

plcamp, that is the kind of person I need to learn from. I have a lot of question. the 1" plate that would be the max that I will need most of the cuts will be on 1/8 to 1/4".

If you really want to machine things from 1" plate aluminum with good cut quality and reliability, I'd think you'd want a different kind of machine; a mill, rather than a router. If you're doing simple cut-outs in 1/8" plate and the edge quality isn't that important, a router like that might work for you.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

hello PLCAMP, this what I was looking at on eBay the other day. 6040 CNC Router ENGRAVER Easy Operation Four Axis High Precision New Generation | eBay . it is smaller then what I wanted. what do you think of this one ? has anyone else used this? how did it perform ? how was the customer service after the sale ? you know all the questions that a new guy asks. thanks !!
    I have one of the 6040's and would probably consider them the best value machine available on the market at the hobbyist level, despite the need and extra cost to swap the crap controller that comes supplied as standard, and the power supply. Waranty of course is zero, but as you would realistically only care about the mechanics of the machine, any issues would immediately be obvious and covered by Ebay/Paypal's policies. I've used mine quite happily to machine 38-43mm thick aluminium blocks for spindle mounts, albeit at very fast speeds and light cuts. If you can more or less water proof the table to any degree, and add a Kool-Mist or similar, you'd get quite reasonable performance and results.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Thank you for the input.
    I looked at a mill but I do not have the room or the money to spend on one that has a decent cutting area. That is why I started looking at the table top designs.
    Do you think if I put slides and ball bearing screws a decent spindle that I would get somewhat accurate / clean cuts?
    If so what size and brand would you guys recommend?

Thank you for the input.
    I looked at a mill but I do not have the room or the money to spend on one that has a decent cutting area.
    Believe me I understand your situation. However machining aluminum to what I would consider acceptable quality levels won't be was on a cheap DIY machine. It is just one of those facts of life, machining metals requires a machine that is reasonably stiff and vibration free.

That being said it isn't impossible to get decent results from a DIY machine if you pay attention to design. The biggest problem is that you either need access to a machine shop or a willingness to hire a shop. This doesn't mean you can't do things by hand but time and the ease of getting excellent quality strongly indicates that access to a machine shop would be of big help.
    That is why I started looking at the table top designs.
    There is nothing wrong with a table top machine, however stiffness and mass sort of go together, a good design will be heavy. Depending upon how large of a cutting area you need it may be easier to do a free standing machine
    Do you think if I put slides and ball bearing screws a decent spindle that I would get somewhat accurate / clean cuts?
    You can't just slap things together. Beyond that what do you mean by accurate. Normally you think of machining of metals as a far more demanding task accuracy wise compared to wood for example. I say normally because many craftsman to very accurate wood working. If your idea of accurate and clean cuts is the same as mine, the you need a stiff machine that minimizes vibration. Id go so far as to say most of the DIY machines out there would barely be up to the task of clean and accurate cuts in Aluminum.
    If so what size and brand would you guys recommend?
    The first thing you need to do is to decide about the basic design of the machine. The rails and so forth then need to be sized for the machine. For a small machine 15 mm profile rials might be a good starting place Note though that buying all of this stuff will quickly turn into a big money sink unless you can find good deals. You will quickly exceed the cost of a Chinese mill. Of course there are always the stories of guys making excellent buys on e-Bay so you can get lucky. However if you start to add up the most of profile Rails, ball screws and the like it quickly adds up. Especially if you are buying higher quality ball screws for accurate machining of metal.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a table top machine, however stiffness and mass sort of go together, a good design will be heavy.
    Agreed on that. If you go that route, think "platform" rather than "table" and have a way to fasten it securely to said platform.

Wizard, thank you for all the input. is the vibration from the spindle or the movement of the gantry ?

Devastator, what do you mean by platform?

A large reinforced box, like a big torsion box or similar. Not a table with legs and such.

Wizard, thank you for all the input. is the vibration from the spindle or the movement of the gantry ?

The vibration can be the result of many things. Undersized components, how the components are connected and the type and size of the linear components can all impact how and where the machine vibrates. Spindles have their own concerns, if you intend to machine aluminum, wood working routers will not be ideal.

It sounds like there are many obstacles to overcome.
    How have you guys dealt and solved the problems?
    Bigger rails, better stepper motors or control, better quality spindle, used steel instead of aluminum for the table and gantry, etc…
    I do like the idea of platform. thanks Devastator.

It sounds like there are many obstacles to overcome.
    How have you guys dealt and solved the problems?
    Bigger rails, better stepper motors or control, better quality spindle, used steel instead of aluminum for the table and gantry, etc…
    I do like the idea of platform. thanks Devastator.
    Focus on rigidity first, that's the prime importance. Then quality linear rails and leadscrews/leadnuts. Most people start by focusing on steppers and drivers which is one of the least things to worry about. Same goes for the spindle. A good spindle on a poor machine will still give poor results.

I once was helping a guy who kept stressing accuracy and focusing on resolution but did not give any thought to rigidity. Without rigidity, that's a lost cause.