586,750 active members*
7,392 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Have you seen this fadal on ebay?
Page 1 of 2 12

Have you seen this fadal on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fadal-4020-VMC-c...QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone got a good guess as to what happened? Almost looks like a magnesium fire! Wow

Speeds or feeds where too high.

Should have used a 4 flute instead of 2....(chair)

Carlo

Me I only have a couple and never drink and drive

gas can was miss marked as coolant

Thats what happens when you don't keep the mag chips cleaned out. Notice the block of stock isn't burned away, just the chips.

The boards in the back "look" like they might be ok!

Neal

I dont think it was magnesium. If it was it should have burned right through the bottom of the chip pan IMO

It was magnisium! Seen it happen before. sometimes the chips light up and burn so fast that it dosen't light the part up. Although that isn't what happend here.

The part probably wasn't big enough to burn thru the sub plate.

Don't confuse magnisium with thermite. Thermite throws its heat out hot and quick magnisium has to get its fuel (oxidizer) from the atmosphere. Thermite has it built into its makeup so it can burn alot hotter and faster thus giving it its ability to burn thru metal quickly.

Boy that would be a great platform for a garage setup and DIY!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    ......Boy that would be a great platform for a garage setup and DIY!
    APPROX. DIMENSIONS................... 116" X 87" X 95"H
    APPROX. WEIGHT....................... 10,500 LBS

Not much room for anything else in the garage. But at least you could be sure it will not blow away.

Don't the women love big..... units? And that would be a big one!

The column would fit nicely for a lift into the rafters!
    thanks
    Michael T.

When they said that that job was hot, they were'nt kidding. (flame2)

Lightbulb

It was magnisium! Seen it happen before. sometimes the chips light up and burn so fast that it dosen't light the part up. Although that isn't what happend here.

The part probably wasn't big enough to burn thru the sub plate.

Don't confuse magnisium with thermite. Thermite throws its heat out hot and quick magnisium has to get its fuel (oxidizer) from the atmosphere. Thermite has it built into its makeup so it can burn alot hotter and faster thus giving it its ability to burn thru metal quickly.

Boy that would be a great platform for a garage setup and DIY!
    Actually magnesium produces its own oxygen, it can be controlled using talcum powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Low View Post
    Actually magnesium produces its own oxygen,....
    This is not correct. Magnesium once ignited reacts very strongly with oxygen from the atmosphere and burns to produce a lot of heat and magnesium dioxide which is the product of the chemical reaction between magnesium metal and oxygen. It is difficult to extinguish a magnesium fire because if CO2 (carbon dioxide) is used the magnesium simply reacts with the oxygen in the CO2 so it still produces magnesium dioxide and lots of heat. If water is used it reacts with the oxygen in the water and still produces magnesium dioxide and lots of heat. Talcum powder may work to smother a magnesium fire because magnesium cannot react with anything in talcum powder. All the talcum powder does is prevent atmospheric oxygen from reaching the magnesium.

interresting I thought talc could be set on fire and in a fine dust state surely it would explode in much the same way the old custard and flour factories used to destroy city blocks.. remember the old experiments at school (anything will burn if make small enoough - AKA steal wool ignites with a match)

Quote Originally Posted by Salty72 View Post
    interresting I thought talc could be set on fire and in a fine dust state surely it would explode in much the same way the old custard and flour factories used to destroy city blocks.. remember the old experiments at school (anything will burn if make small enoough - AKA steal wool ignites with a match)
    True talcum powder is non-combustible. Here is a definition taken from Wikipedia; Talc is a mineral composed of hydrated magnesium silicate with the chemical formula H2Mg3(SiO3)4 or Mg3Si4O10(OH)2

However, there are fears that this talcum powder can cause cancer so alternative forms of baby powder are now made using cornstarch. Custard is cornstarch so it is quite possible that under the correct conditions you could cause an explosion using cornstarch based baby powder. I do recommend, however, that you do not experiment.

Actually magnesium produces its own oxygen, it can be controlled using talcum powder.
    Also in order for magnesium to produce oxygen it would have to do some matter transmutation, which as far as I know isn't possible with present technology!

Talcum powder may or may not be combustible but most of the stories your hear about explosions from powder are from flour not talc. Flour is extreamly combustible (ask me How I know )
    thanks
    Michael T.

........Flour is extreamly combustible (ask me How I know )
    Okay what did you blow up?

Actually I think the best explosions have been in grain elevators and it was grain dust not flour.

well I read that flour thrown on a skillet fire is bad when I was a we little tot, so my super devious brain thought:hmmm what can we do with this?

Me and a freind ended up making large boxes of flour with compressed air for an dispersal and ended up blowing our boxes apart. Lot of work for a one use item but it was fun (and I didn't get caught). Of course I had been making makeshift firecrackers out of some 22 bullets i found until one went off, but thats another story!
    thanks
    Michael T.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    True talcum powder is non-combustible. Here is a definition taken from Wikipedia; Talc is a mineral composed of hydrated magnesium silicate with the chemical formula H2Mg3(SiO3)4 or Mg3Si4O10(OH)2

However, there are fears that this talcum powder can cause cancer so alternative forms of baby powder are now made using cornstarch. Custard is cornstarch so it is quite possible that under the correct conditions you could cause an explosion using cornstarch based baby powder. I do recommend, however, that you do not experiment.
    In fact Talc is mineralogically very close to Mica and Vermiculite (their atoms are all arranged in sheets and they are all silicates). They are very stable and will not cumbust. Both Mica and Vermiculite are heat resistant. Mica was used as windows in stoves. Vermiculite was used as a filler in fireproofing materials.

Carlo

I can see where this topic is headed and just so everyone knows I hate lady fingers and yes we had bb gun wars when I was young.

Page 1 of 2 12