586,488 active members*
2,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Xylotex > xylotex board questions...
Page 1 of 2 12

xylotex board questions...

Ok, I am about to hook up my board for my home built machine and as I was looking at the board and I was wondering what all the screw in type connectors are on the other end of the board away from where the power connects. There are like 10+ of them over there.

Have you read the manual?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I just went to their site to check it out. I saw documents there that were NOT sent with the board itself. I now know what they are but have no clue how to wire them for e-stops, ect... can anyone provide help with this?

That's some good help - Have you read the manual? Answers like that are usually why people like me are hesitate to ask questions on these forums. I thought that is the purpose of the forums - help. I've heard that there is not such a thing as a stupid question, but it sounds like SatanKlawz asked it. I'm new at this CNC stuff and I have read through these forums for many hours trying to learn about something I don't know anything about. I just recently had problems with Mach3 and asked some questions on the Mach3 forum and got some very good help and got my problem corrected. I looked through the Mach3 manual 2 or 3 times trying to find my answer before posting my questions but I guess I did not know enough to know what I was looking for. The person that helped me might have thought I might have needed to read the manual but he helped me anyway without any smart remarks and I was grateful. I didn't feel nearly as stupid as he might have thought I was. (If Chip is reading this - thanks again.) This type of answer sure makes me think before I would ask a question on this forum. I just ask all of you if you think I ask a stupid question, just don't answer it. I feel stupid enough having to ask for help in the first place without any smart comments. By the way, SatanKlawz, I wish I knew enough to help you, but I don't. Seems like we are both in the same boat.

SatanKlawz, I looked around and found my paperwork on my Xylotex 3-axis system. I sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by kosymailman View Post
    That's some good help - Have you read the manual? Answers like that are usually why people like me are hesitate to ask questions on these forums. I thought that is the purpose of the forums - help. I've heard that there is not such a thing as a stupid question, but it sounds like SatanKlawz asked it. I'm new at this CNC stuff and I have read through these forums for many hours trying to learn about something I don't know anything about. I just recently had problems with Mach3 and asked some questions on the Mach3 forum and got some very good help and got my problem corrected. I looked through the Mach3 manual 2 or 3 times trying to find my answer before posting my questions but I guess I did not know enough to know what I was looking for. The person that helped me might have thought I might have needed to read the manual but he helped me anyway without any smart remarks and I was grateful. I didn't feel nearly as stupid as he might have thought I was. (If Chip is reading this - thanks again.) This type of answer sure makes me think before I would ask a question on this forum. I just ask all of you if you think I ask a stupid question, just don't answer it. I feel stupid enough having to ask for help in the first place without any smart comments. By the way, SatanKlawz, I wish I knew enough to help you, but I don't. Seems like we are both in the same boat.
    It seems to be this way on most of the forums I'm a member of......no idea why one would rather give sarcastic answer than trying to help another. We all have to start somewhere. Or they may answer in terms we just don't understand. I don't care how many times the question is asked because there will always be newbies coming to the forum. If I get tired of reading the same question, I can just pass it buy. Every time I read a smart a$$ remark, I check the number of post by that member. It seems to be related at times. I guess it's great when you can just fall out of the womb and straight to CNC

It wasn't intended to be a sarcastic answer. The manual is 4 pages long, and clearly states what those pins are for. He answered that he hadn't read the manual, and once he did, he found out what they were for. Why would you expect me to type out the answer when it was easily available and should have been the first place he should have looked. I answer a LOT of questions here, and don't always have time to give a detailed explanation.

Monte, read through my 6000+ posts, and see how many are sarcastic replies.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    It wasn't intended to be a sarcastic answer. The manual is 4 pages long, and clearly states what those pins are for. He answered that he hadn't read the manual, and once he did, he found out what they were for. Why would you expect me to type out the answer when it was easily available and should have been the first place he should have looked. I answer a LOT of questions here, and don't always have time to give a detailed explanation.

Monte, read through my 6000+ posts, and see how many are sarcastic replies.
    I wasn't necessarily referring to you but paralleling the comment made by the other member and experiences I've had. Whether you meant it as a sarcastic
    remark or not........it's very easy to have taken it that way. If, as you say,
    you don't always have the time........pass it up. When you ask or tell the very
    obvious it appears as sarcasm. Reread the other members comment about
    fearing to ask some questions because of someone may talk down to them
    and make them feel foolish. When you're new at this it can be very frustrating. Not getting help can really kill a spirit. I agree, to read instructions first but some are not easily understood. If manuals were the only answer, we wouldn't need forums. Have a good day

I read the manual that was online. I repeat AGAIN, some of those documents were NOT sent to me with the board. I would of thought that I would have been sent all of the documentation. I am not upset about not getting it all since it is so easily available online. On the other hand your post count is not a measure of how smart or "holier than thou" you are. It is just a measure of how much of your life you have wasted on the internet.

I just have to read this and laugh! You guys are burning a serious bridge taking that attitude with Gerry. I can assure you all of his posts are quality posts and he's helped countless people here on this forum. You'd be wise to humble yourselves and think though this situation a little more if you want to have less frustrating projects. Just my two cents!

Quote Originally Posted by SatanKlawz View Post
    On the other hand your post count is not a measure of how smart or "holier than thou" you are. It is just a measure of how much of your life you have wasted on the internet.
    I agree with WilliamD.
    Number 1 if you had bothered to check many of the previous posts by Gerry it would indicate immediatly that he is one of the more prolific poster of valuable help and information, it is too bad that you feel that this is an indication of wasting his life.
    I post fairly frequently and I know what it is like to constantly repeat information that if only the poster had searched these Forums first, or the internet, he would only have had to asked clarifying questions.
    But many of us, like gerry practice a little patience, Like everyone here, we all did not know the definition of CNC at some point in our life, and there was a time when the internet did not exist and the obtaining of information was heck of alot harder.
    Also, after posting in several internet newgroups etc, I think one has to develop a little bit of a thick skin.
    Because if the simple question of asking (BTW I did not read sarcastic) 'Did you read the manual' offends anyone, be aware that there are many more N.G.s that will allow alot greater 'verbal thrashing'.
    Thats my take anyway.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Ditto to all the above. ger is great and we all love him, we also love Al The Man and many others too (In a masculine and totally plutonic kind of way!) Im feeling a lot of love for SatanKlawz (Although Im not crazy about your username (Thats a joke!) ) and I feel a lot of love for kosymailman also. There is no such thing as a stupid question...trust me...I ask enough of them for a small town! Now lets all punch each other in a manly fashion on the chest and make up. I dont have a clue about how to connect such funky things as e-stops and all that other 'jazz', but if anyone cares Xylotex is not RohS compliant and cant ship into the EU :violin:. No Im not taking any funky narcotics (Drugs bad....coca cola good ), and I think Im pretty sober, Im also not inclined towards men in case anyone gets the wrong idea, however I am pretty liberal and what men or women want to do when in the company of other men or women is their own business, we're all gonna be dead in 50yrs anyway (Except me, Im gonna live until Im 125, I decided a while back), anyway, SERIOUSLY, does anyone know why my smiles are no longer funky and multicoloured...they're gone all pale yellowish like they're sick.....OK PEOPLE FOCUS NOW, the smilies, whats wrong with the smilies?

Can't see the sarcasm

I really think that the question of "reading the manual" was a very valid one. By asking, it gives readers of these posts a good reference as to where the poster may or may not need further help. By asking this question, it was established that the O.P. probably was not aware of the online manuals as the information that was sent the O.P. with the board may not of directed him to that source of information, and also if the poster did read it and did not understand, it would give the rest of us a better understanding of what level of support / help that the O.P. actually needs.

Folks, this is a very good site that we have. The moderators do a very good job of keeping things on track, and the people on this site are here to help, not be sarcastic. Perhaps the O.P. took others responses the wrong way, due to the "thick skin" developed elsewhere and in other groups, but it is seldom needed here.

Gerry, we value your contributions and if nothing else, this member feels as though your question of "Have you read the manual" was a valuable step towards providing a helpful response to the O.P. question. Please keep up the good work.

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

there is in one of the pages that is sent that has the pin in step and direction from the parllel port. none of the scew termanals are listed, so i put an ohm meter from the screw termanal to the pins in at the end of the parallel cable to the xylotex board to find what pin in to use for my estop and limit switchs.
    then you assign it in your software

You guys are going to have to overlook me, but none of you have changed my mine about this answer to a legitimate question. When I saw this answer I called my wife and asked her what she thought of the answer - She thought it was sh***y (Hey, this was her reply, not mine). She asked if this person was supposed to be helping other people and she knows even less about this stuff than I do (I didn't think that was possible). Surely if the manual was four pages long this was the first place the poster looked. I would have just taken it for granted that - maybe he didn’t have a manual?? If I had known the answer, I still would have helped if I could. If I couldn't help I would have been quiet (as usual). I have a bunch of questions that I would like to ask but I feel that I would look stupid asking them. I will spend a lot of time looking through manuals and looking at previous questions on the forums trying to find the answer. Probably would take 5 minutes to get the answer if I had just asked the question on the forum to begin with, but it is answers like this that keeps me from posting my questions and I don't think that is what the forum moderators are trying to do. I "would" get my feelings hurt if someone answered “my” question like that. After a lengthy period of searching I will post my question whether you think it is stupid or not. I will need an answer and these forums are usually the best place I know of to get them. If you do not think this answer was not so bad, I could help the moderators by answering probably 90% of the questions of this forum with "Have you read the manual", but it is probably not the answer the people are looking for. I am not really mad at anyone, but personally I still feel the answer was inappropriate from someone that is supposed to be helping. I know I will asking some of you for help in the future and would appreciate it if you did not give me this answer. I don't think there is anyone that appreciates or needs help more than I do. I have stated how I feel and it’s the last you will hear from me on the subject. I hope we're all still forum buddies.

I have just recently retired and maybe it is just my age but it just seems like stuff bothers me more than it used to, maybe my skin is to tender. I agree that the moderator has helped a lot of people (and I still hope he will "help" me in the future) and spent a lot of productive time answering them but I did not go back and read the thousands of posts he has made. I just read this one and this one is the one that bothered me.

Let me get back to enjoying the posts on the CNCZone and I do appreciate any and all of the "help" you guys give me in the future.

I do not know what o.p. & RohS mean from some of the previous posts, but don’t worry, I’m heading to the manual

OP = Original Poster
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I own a Xylotex. It did not come with a manual, and I assumed that they still don't. The OP said he was about to hook up the board, and it was obvious to me that he had not read the manual. Which is why I asked him if he had read it.

Anyway, let's move on.

There used to be a diagram on the Xylotex website showing how to wire limit and home switches, but it looks like it is no longer there. Possibly Jeff at Xylotex could email it to you if you ask him.

Also, in the files area of the Xylotex yahoo support group, there is a wiring diagram of an E-Stop circuit.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I owe a great deal of my progress in the CNC world to Ger21 and his tireless help. A few days b4 I joined this forum, I had never ever heard of a CNC machine. Since joining the forum I have built two, and ran a bussiness with them.
    People like Gerry have helped me, and many others for many years. Even if at the odd time thier advice was to read the manual. 99% of the time thier advice is spot on.

I my self am retired (old guy) and a real electrical Newbir, at the lowest level. I finished the mechnical part of my machine 3 years ago, motors mounted and ready for power, because I was stuck on the electricals, and frustrated.
    I finally desided to try and finish it. I have the 6 page manual, but I don't always know (hardly ever) what I'm reading. I just went through the 110V and DC voltage connections to the controllers, think I got that. Am waiting on a response at my second attempt to be sure.

I just posted another question about the 9 pin Molex connection to the Parallel port, and what I think it is saying. (XS-3525/8S-1 XYLOTEX)

Being on either side of the fence is difficult, but you must hang in there. Sometimes rephrase the question, make a stab at what you think they are saying, post that and hope for the best.

my 2 cents
    Hager

Page 1 of 2 12