587,067 active members*
3,609 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V27 Freezing and lockup

V27 Freezing and lockup

Is anyone that is on V27 having lots of freezing and lockup problems? We get lockup if we go back into a feature a couple times in a row, go into simulation and back out it freezes, If two programs are open and you switch between them it turns the screen white. Everything even the tree is still there and can be edited just the screen is white so can't see geometry or anything......

Re: V27 Freezing and lockup

I have been using V27 for evaluation and I have to agree that it is considerably slower (Must require much more PC resources), just done a test with a V26 file for a 3D Mold I did a while back, the file is just a finish cut for the cavity side of the mold, file size is only 195Mb, (the smoother version is 360Mb) and doesn`t take too long to load into V26, much, much longer with V27, making any changes also requires longer computation times and yes, when going to the simulation it does take a very long time to launch and is way slower, trying to make any changes like going from one Mode (Time, NC or Length) to another will lock up the simulation.

Plus side, the simulation does look sharper and there isn`t as much "bleed" at some edges like before, the software is way better on the CAD modelling side but as I am working from models sent to me that doesn`t help a lot

Roll on V28, maybe these issues will be resolved ? ? ? ?

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Thanks Engine Guy. You seem to be seeing what I am. I went from 25 to 27 and it just seems way more crash prone and slower.... There are a couple more features but can be frustrating....

FYI they told me today I was the only one to ever mention this issue.

I am a new BobCAD-CAM user so can't compare to v26. I run V27 in a virtual machine / Windows 7 on a Mac. I am very impressed with both the performance and stability. I have spent 100s of hours running it in the short time I've had it and things are pretty solid. The one issue I've had is with the simulations. It can be slow to run and has crashed twice of the dozens of times I've run it. But CAD and CAM have both been very stable.

cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
    I am a new BobCAD-CAM user so can't compare to v26. I run V27 in a virtual machine / Windows 7 on a Mac. I am very impressed with both the performance and stability. I have spent 100s of hours running it in the short time I've had it and things are pretty solid. The one issue I've had is with the simulations. It can be slow to run and has crashed twice of the dozens of times I've run it. But CAD and CAM have both been very stable.

cheers,
    Michael

But,have you run any files as large as Rob has ?
    Have you tried saving your simulation model as a .stl,,,then using that .stl for your milling stock on your next operation ?

Probably not. My files are not all the large compared to his sizes. No on the simulation model question.

I think jrmach may be right.... I think it may depend on what you are doing in it. I don't use the CAD side for anything so I am only referring to the CAM side. I use SolidWorks for my modeling.

BobCad says they think it is the computer.... I had it built to solidworks specs as that is it's primary use but I never had that problem on V25...

I run V27 in a virtual machine / Windows 7 on a Mac
    That's pretty impressive since you are using a fake emulation of a video card, on an unsupported OS... Are you confident you are running a virtual machine and not "bootcamp" or something like that?
    I would also expect this to produce more erroneous results than success such as yours...

To the others, it definitely sounds video related.... Drivers, and driver setups could help...

A quick try first could be to go to prefs-default-system tab and remove any selections for the 3dconnexion stuff and see if that helps.....

Anybody wants to get into it further you can choose help-system info and copy to clipboard then paste here and we can look.....

I am running the latest VMWare Fusion, so yes, confident it isn't BootCamp. I have been running Rhino and many other high end, video intensive apps like this for several years with virtually no problems. There are lots of benefits though. For instance, while evaluating CAM solutions recently I simply created a clone of a fresh Windows 7 VM and installed and tested each product. When I was done, I simply deleted the VMs and did not have to worry about contaminating my main workspace VM. I also use a 3DConnexion SpaceNavigator and it has been dead smooth on Rhino and BobCAD-CAM.

My iMac has a 27" monitor, 4 cores (Intel Core i5) at 2.9 GHz, 32GB of physical memory and a Fusion drive. I allocate 2 cores and 16GB RAM to the Windows VM.

My iMac has a 27" monitor, 4 cores (Intel Core i5) at 2.9 GHz, 32GB of physical memory and a Fusion drive. I allocate 2 cores and 16GB RAM to the Windows VM.
    Sweet!!

Yeah, it gets the job done! I love the big monitor.

Probably not. My files are not all the large compared to his sizes. No on the simulation model question.

The simulation model question in V26 could knock you out umnconscious.Depending on computer and depending on .stl saved out from simulation.I would be interested if V27 does the same.
    Rob can expand more on this as he gets real heavy models.

Yeah, it gets the job done! I love the big monitor.
    then you would really like my "big" monitor...lol thats a 24 incher on the left...

Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

I am new to bobcad, I just purchased v27 standard 3 axes plus bobart. I have to say that I'm experiencing some bugs too. strangely when working on a large file it slows down a lot and sometimes the selection tool has a bug where it will not select anything until i click on another tool and then click back to it. I locks up when trying to compute complex tool paths. I find this annoying because the system that I am running it on has a 3.4ghz i7 with 16GB of RAM, a GeForce GTX 675m with 2GB or ram and I'm running everything from a solid state hard drive and using windows 8.1. The program seems sluggish and at most it only uses 2 cores of my processor and doesn't even put a dent in memory usage. Even if I set a higher affinity to the process it has no effect. It just doesn't seem to manage resources very well. I have a powerhouse system and bobcad just sits there and locks up.

Does anyone have a workaround for getting it to calculate a vcarve on a complex vector file like a mayan calendar?

The Mayan calender.That could be problematic.The one's that I have seen needed a lot of clean-up.
    If you can upload it so we can look at it,maybe we can get it sorted.
    Forum member "Trotline" took the time to clean one up that he had downloaded from CNC Zone.
    If you do a forum search you will find people were successfully doing the Mayan Calender way back with V23.
    I myself have never made one,but did do it in CAM for the fun of it with V 23.So,I think your problems lie with geometry that needs cleaned up,or possibly your work flow.
    Does this look like the one you are doing ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mayan.jpg  

I just did a V-Carve in V26.I just used the defaults.
    Tool path calculation maybe 6 seconds.
    Preparing for simulation about 15 seconds.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That Aztec Calendar file is cool, I was watching the simulating at work for awhile today!!!!!! At home here I am used to the 32 in monitor, great for cad and with the new video card is excellent for bc and the simulation!!

Dave