586,500 active members*
1,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Sprut8 LatheXZ approach path / tool change question

Sprut8 LatheXZ approach path / tool change question

I'm a SC7 mill user, with, I think, a reasonable amount of experience. I recently purchased a Tormach SlantPro Lathe and upgraded to SC8. It's working pretty well until you start a drilling operation ( or other axial tool ) after a series of lathing ops ( radial tools ). Here are the settings for this drilling op:
    Under Setup:
    Approach reference point: X0; Z0.25
    Return reference point: X0; Z0.25

Under Links/Leads
    Approach: through axial safe plane
    return: through axial safe plane

I get this:
    Attachment 254600

If the approach tool path is specified, the tool should just 'appear' at this point, but it seems to create this 'jog' in the approach path. I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this, it seems like the custom approach is getting ignored.

Anybody get this?

Re: Sprut8 LatheXZ approach path / tool change question

I was just struggling with this operation myself. Select lathe drilling and delete your job assignment. Click on the 3/4 view to see your hole in the part. Select an edge inside your hole and click the Turn icon. You should now see an Edge in the job assignment tab. I had originally imported a .stl model but it did not have a proper drilled surface so I had to create an .IGS model for this to work. Also select the Lathe Drilling operation and then the Machine setup. Make sure your current tool holder is Axial lathe tool. I also had to play around with the linear axis in this tab. It seems the defaults are not correct ( I am using a generic Lathe ZX machine). I still get a diagonal movement on my drill which I can't get rid off. It goes back and forth once before the actual drill cycle. Since it clears my part I may just leave it in but let me know if you figure out how to get rid of it.

Re: Sprut8 LatheXZ approach path / tool change question

tgsell, I was also able to dork around with the tool change positions to get the diagonal movement out of the Approach/Return path for axial tools. I don't think this is the answer. If you spec an approach point it should go there without all the dancing, but there's something I'm probably not understanding. For now I'm going to filter the extraneous moves out in the post processing. Every op goes through three basic states which are separated by the 'Structure' data type. The states are 'Approach', 'Body', 'Return'. The SlantPro does't have any live tooling, so axial ops are very simple. The (axial) tool moves to X0 from it's G30 point, from there to it's first Z approach point. Any other points after that in the 'Approach' state just get tossed. All the business gets done in the 'Body', and the 'Return' state also ignores everything and returns to the first Approach point, from their the tools goes back to G30, so it should work.