586,590 active members*
2,417 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

oxy-acet table

My plans are to build a 5x10' table to run just gas torch.

with that being said my speeds are going to be pretty slow. will the hobbycnc 4 axis kit with the 200oz in motors work for this.

iam guessing around 8-15 in/min cut rate
    using rack and pinion, belt and pulleys for gear reduction if needed
    driving the gantry from both sides
    the gantry will weigh approx. 100 pounds

Last oxy table I worked on had motors that looked like toys. Little small DC motors but they had high reduction gearboxes. Traded speed for torque.

The chart for my torch recommends speeds ranging from 15/19ipm for 1" steel to 20/30ipm for 1/8" (the chart goes to 12" thick@3/5ipm, but I don't go there). Rapids are rapids and faster is better. It will cut down on the time it takes to run a long program with alot of parts. I use 187oz to turn 4-turns-per-inch lead screws, direct drive & 30v. Cutting speeds are easy, rapids are 90/106ipm. Find a torque curve for your motors and design the gearing to yield cutting speeds with the motor in the "meaty" part of the powerband. Your rapids will be whatever the motors can eek out at higher rpm. Using the highest voltage that your drives can withstand will improve higher rpm performance. BTW, my gantry weighs ~70#. MIKE

I originally built mine with Hobbycnc's old 3 axis board, and upgraded to the PRO model. I now have Geckos, as the Hcnc boards are going to another project. In response, yes, they will work just fine. Make sure you gear the motors down well, and you will have no problems. I got 200 IPM from my Hcnc board during testing, so 10-50 IPM will be no problem. Although, I was using Powermax II steppers, I imagine the Hcnc steppers will work better though, as the amp draw of the Powermax II's was at the limit of the board.

You might consider dual driving both axis if your gantry is that heavy, since a Z axis is really not neccesary with oxyfuel. Dual driving coupled with a good gear reduction say, 1:5 should move that sucker around fine. Just my thoughts.....
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.