586,096 active members*
3,689 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Another cheap chinese laser problem

Hi, Ive just bought one of these and am very disappointed with it, laser power reduces within the first minute, any ideas why? Also cutting 2 mm acrylic I need to use full power and cut at 1mm/s is this normal or should I expect better? Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Another cheap chinese laser problem

It probably needs to get the mirrors aligned. Also, make sure all of the mirrors and the focus lens is clean.

Milt

wklaserliu Guest

hi Ally,

you coudl set speed at 10 to 15 to see .

and normally machine with 40w is ok to cut 2mm acrylic .

dear like our storm500 with 35w is ok to cut acrylic fast .

any questions, you ocudl add my skype for solution:

[email protected]
    Quiven from G.weike laser

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post
    It probably needs to get the mirrors aligned. Also, make sure all of the mirrors and the focus lens is clean.

Milt
    Thanks Mondo, but this is brand new, so would think that it would be ok. How would I go about aligning the mirrors?

Quote Originally Posted by mondo50m View Post

Milt
    Quote Originally Posted by wklaserliu View Post
    hi Ally,

you coudl set speed at 10 to 15 to see .

and normally machine with 40w is ok to cut 2mm acrylic .

dear like our storm500 with 35w is ok to cut acrylic fast .

any questions, you ocudl add my skype for solution:

[email protected]
    Quiven from G.weike laser
    Thanks wklaserliu,

Its struggling at 1mm/s full power. Also ive noticed the power reducing after a few seconds. I dont think its putting out the power its supposed to. Any help appreciated.

You will have to search on this site to find how to align the mirrors. It is rather easy to do, but involved if this is the first time. Also, it will reduce in power if it is not running cool enough. I run mine with the water temp between 68 and 74 degrees F. It is possible to run it at higher temps, but I stay within the mentioned temps for personal reasons. Remember, these units are shipped from China, they may have been aligned there, but I am sure the boat ride is rather bumpy and bounces them around quite a bit. This will cause them to get out of alignment. I have had my K40 for almost 3 years now. I did the upgrade and am happy with what I am using it for. I can cut 6mm plexiglass at 3mm/s with half power. I could go faster is I wanted to up the power, but lower power means longer tube life.

Milt

Ive just run an experiment, this is what I wanted to print, Attachment 255238 but this is what I got, Attachment 255240 As you can see the etch on the right is much lighter and the other two images didnt print at all. It seems the further away the lens gets from the mirror reduces or stops the laser. Would this be caused by alignment?

Absolutely!! In the first (left hand) engraving the beam is on center (or it should be). As the gantry travels to the right, the beam, if not properly aligned, will wander to either side of the mirror, not the center. This will cause the beam to not be in the middle of the focus lens, thus unable to engrave properly or cut. It may take a couple of hours the first time to get the alignment correct. Have patience and take you time, it will be worth it.

Milt

Not perfect, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1374.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	255248 but much better. Where would we be without the internet & people willing to help. Thank you so much for your help, really appreciated.

Hi Allycat,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Power loss can happen for many reasons. Based on the fact that it drops off after a few minutes of running it could mean a couple of things as follows:

1. The unit is thermally unstable. As the laser heats up there is a mechanical shift in the optical alignment which will cause power fluctuations. It does not take much of a change in mirror position to cause problems.

2. It could also be a defective tube. Output power in a laser tube is dependant upon fresh gas available between the mirrors. If the gas is not circulated properly you will see a quick down turn in power.

3. If you are running a gantry system and the power loss always occurs in a specific area of your cutting field it is likely due to improper alignment.

NLC Laser is a manufacturer of custom laser systems based around our own CO2 Sealed Laser Techonlogy. We have been in business since 1988 and manufacture our own glass laser tubes. These tubes are designed to be refilled and are not throw aways. They are considerably more expensive than the Chinese units. The Chinese sell thier entire laser tube for less than it cost me for my optics. The old addage about you get what you pay for rings true. In the past two years I have replace tubes for 3 Chineese cutting systems. One of them actually caught on fire because of defective wiring. If I can be of more help please visit my website at nlclaser.com or email me at [email protected]

ngenge

Thanks everyone.

Hi,
    sorry about what you met,but you get what you pay for,cheap machine is really waste money
    laser power reduce soon should case by laser tube problem
    tina from g.weike laser
    EMAIL: [email protected] SKYPE: lysunshine521