586,116 active members*
3,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: way guards

way guards

I need way guards for my self built milling machine. I am looking to make them, stitching rubber together or vynil fabric. Was wondering if anyone else did this before, or seen any DIY links - could offer advice. Thanks.
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

Wheres the pics of your mill? And here these guys are fairly cheap http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/Sm...s_Thomson_Part

You,ll have to scroll around to find the prices.

Try these guys, I saw them at Westec a couple yrs back.
    http://www.gortite.com/

PEACE

Thanks for replies. Sorry no pics yet, I just finally assembled the machine this week and got the whole thing running to make its first cuts yesturday. Swarf immediately (like a magnet) went on the ballscrews - so sad. Now I gotta spend another week making guards.

I'll take pics soon and post them.
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

Yeah the Gortite are cheap like $40 bucks I think when I priced 'em up awhile back.

Well - I have three axis. If I buy boots for the rails and the ballscrew individually, at its cheapest is $10 each boot. Making the bill $60 x 3 = $180. I would prefer a boot that would cover the entire rails and ballnut. But that means I would have to get a custom-fabricated boot.

Its unlikely I would find some material at the machine-scrap yard down the road from me, and more unlikely I will pay herds of cash for custom boots. I think I am going to have to fabricate or stitch something out of vynil fabric and some elastic binding.