586,734 active members*
2,474 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Deskcnc lathe threading

Hello,

Does anyone have a lathe currently working for thread cutting using Deskcnc? I would like to here about your setup and how well everything works.

Thanks,

Frank

Wow, you mean to say nobody has Deskcnc controlling a lathe for single point threading?

Frank, I'd like to know too. Did you ever find any info on threading with Deskcnc on a lathe.

I am actually switching to Mach 3 as they seem to be further ahead in the lathe control, and the support forum is huge. I like Deskcnc for its simplicity though I must admit.

DeskCNC threading on a lathe is superb. It uses a quadrature encoder and tracks the spindle position at all speeds. Our kit for Sherlines includes a 500 line ( 2000 count per spindle Rev), sealed quadrature encoder. If the spindle lugs down or even stalls completely, the tool remains in the correct location for the thread. You can turn the spindle manually to complete the cut.

Here is a link to our Sherline Machines web site that shows some threads that were cut in mild steel:

Sherline-lathe

We also have an article at this location that explains threading principles and how to accomplish it with DeskCNC.

desktop cnc-threading

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

I'm sure it works well, however I need a control that can read G76 threading cycles, and something that can control a large lathe with an auto tool changer. I still use Deskcnc to control my small mill actually.

Cool Mach Turn!!!

Hi Frank,

I see your interest with mach for turning, I think that you should give Mach turn a whirl first as nobody I know has kind words to say for it. Even Art admits that it has gotten exceedinly untidy. I know of a little EMCO doing threading very nicely.

Cheers,
    Greg

emco threading

Hi Greg,
    I was going to use Mach3 on my comact5 cnc. What is the other sortware you are refering to in your post?

Regards clive

to whom it may concern
    im new at this on line forum stuff . and i just finished biulding a 4x 8 plasma table that is run on deskcnc and would like to know the best way to learn the deskcnc soft ware . i find there info on how to run it to be lousy . it may work fine once you learn it but right now it just as soon shoot it
    help
    zogmon

you're not mincing any words are you ?

I am using Desk CNC for both my converted Tree Mill ( 4 axis) and my Lathe, a 1954 12 by 30 Pratt Whitney ( a 3200 lb 12" by 30" 7.5 hp,I might add) I have had few problems with the Desk CNC,I can say that in fact the only problems are those I created my self ( failure to read instructions and other dummy things).I admit at times the instructions baffled me, but just back up and re-grouped, and re-read the instructions untill the problems were solved.

You can see the Lathe Build on the CNC Zone as " Manual to CNC Lathe, (pictures) and several shots of the mill making parts for the lathe conversion. I can thread,external and internal,to any diameter /thread pitch ,metric or SAE, profile, groove, turn etc, all with keeping 0.0003-0.0005 tolerance on both the diameter and length. The mill is just as accurate, with all of the bells and whistles..my only problem is keeping the cutting oil off the floor.

I know nothing about Mac Mill or Lathe, I do know that Desk CNC is very stable, will do exactley what you program ( right or wrong), has all kind of neat features, you just have to study the manual . If you have a problem that can not be solved, PM me and I will try to help, as I most likley have been there.

Adobe (old as dirt)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jst_jan_08,_cnc_machines_002.jpg   jst_jan_08,_cnc_machines_004.jpg   jst_tree_after_full_conversion_001.jpg   jst_tree_after_full_conversion_003.jpg  

deskcnc

Quote Originally Posted by Adobe Machine View Post
    I am using Desk CNC for both my converted Tree Mill ( 4 axis) and my Lathe, a 1954 12 by 30 Pratt Whitney ( a 3200 lb 12" by 30" 7.5 hp,I might add) I have had few problems with the Desk CNC,I can say that in fact the only problems are those I created my self ( failure to read instructions and other dummy things).I admit at times the instructions baffled me, but just back up and re-grouped, and re-read the instructions untill the problems were solved.

You can see the Lathe Build on the CNC Zone as " Manual to CNC Lathe, (pictures) and several shots of the mill making parts for the lathe conversion. I can thread,external and internal,to any diameter /thread pitch ,metric or SAE, profile, groove, turn etc, all with keeping 0.0003-0.0005 tolerance on both the diameter and length. The mill is just as accurate, with all of the bells and whistles..my only problem is keeping the cutting oil off the floor.

I know nothing about Mac Mill or Lathe, I do know that Desk CNC is very stable, will do exactley what you program ( right or wrong), has all kind of neat features, you just have to study the manual . If you have a problem that can not be solved, PM me and I will try to help, as I most likley have been there.

Adobe (old as dirt)
    thank you for your reply adobe
    i do agree the problems i have are create by me . i would hope someone puts out a dummies for deskcnc . you would think carken would it would help them sell more and help me with what i want to do. i have gotten throught my latest problem now its on to the next .
    zogmon