586,036 active members*
3,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Importing DXF Files

Importing DXF Files

I've been creating DXF files in AutoCAD and then using SheetCAM to generate GCode for a long while. I decided to take the plunge and get a copy of SprutCAM 9.

First thing was to take a simple DXF that I created and import it. That works fine, but the part only exists in the model view. If I click on 2D Geometry or Machining it doesn't exist.

Is there something simple I am missing. File attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Importing DXF Files

Hi i tried your DXF file in Sprutcam 7 and it worked fine.
    Maybe some visibility icon are turned off.

Works fine here in sprut 7.
    One of the icons isnt selected, is there one that says Geometry?
    mike sr

I figured it out with your help. The "geometry" button isn't "sticky", in that just because it's selected in the model view, doesn't mean it's selected in the Machining view. How does one pick a curve or point to machine? I hightlighted one, then choose new operation, but it doesn't seem like it does anything. I watched some of the video's but they seem to deal with 3d files and all you have to do is pick a surface and your good to go.

Is there a good video on working with these 2d files?

I would go thru all the videos, look for ones that have 2d operations like your wanting to learn.
    Tormach does one by first drawing 2d lines then some mill operations , about the same.
    SprutCAM Version 7- 2D Lines - Tormach CNC - YouTube

I learn something from all the videos in any language even its all about what they are doing . I pick up little hints, details and options from 10 seconds of some videos that might be 10 min long.
    Watch them all and at same time play around get use to importing and setting up just anything you have or can draw . Then if you mess it up, its easy to start over.
    I spent a week every night for a few hours, "no tv" and got my mind right . Then figured out wow this program runs machines that cost more then my house and what I do with a tormach should be straight forward and it is.
    md

Little more advance one in a different language
    Still I learned as much from this user as anyone
    Tutorial Placa desde DXF con SprutCAM Express - YouTube

I've made some progress. Figured out how to drill my holes using points which is good, as that's how I specified all my holes when using sheetcam.

If anyone has as few minutes to look at my project and give me some pointers...

1. My holes have a conflict, I assume that's because SprutCam thinks I will cut the table?
    2. I cannot get the 2.5D pocketing to work like I think it should. It wants to cut all around the stock or not at all. I watched the video on 2D machining several times but some of the things in SprutCam 7 must be way different in 9.
    Attached Files Attached Files