586,094 active members*
3,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 motor controller failure

X2 motor controller failure

Well I guess my luck runs out. I have been running my X2 for a couple years with the stock controller, motor and belt drive conversion. I'm working on converting a G0704 using HOSS plans so I'm anxious to get this going again. Controller is the FC350BJ/110V

Done to date:
    Sent the board off to a person recommended here and it passed all his tests, put it back in with same results (initially).
    Changed the speed pot.
    Tried a second motor, not the same HF motor but close.

Initial problem – motor comes on fine but I could EASILY stop it by hand at any speed. It trips the over current relay.
    Current symptoms – After playing with it some (not really changing anything) it now has more power but still obviously reduced. When I stop the motor by hand the relay clicks but the motor continues to try and turn. If I release my grip on the spindle, the motor will spin up again. This seems to me that there is an issue with the relay or the current sensing circuit but just a guess based on the symptoms.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: Because I’m impatient to keep going on my G0704 conversion I have ordered a KBMM-125 in case we can’t get this controller going again. I’ll start another thread on that one. 

Re: X2 motor controller failure

Have you looked at the brushes?
    A lazy man does it twice.

Did you do anything w/the castle nut on the spindle? I just replaced my spindle bearings
    and over torqued the nut on reassembly. Motor would spin very slow for 10 seconds then
    trip. Remove castle nut, couple love taps w/dead blow, nut back on just snug and works
    like it should.

Just a thought

No I haven't touched the spindle at all. Still turns as free as ever.
    Still looking for a full schematic of this controller then maybe have a shot at fixing.

I think I still have my x2 controller. If you want it, make me an offer and its yours, if I can find it. No issues on it, I upgraded to a treadmill motor a few weeks back so its not being used.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer. I plan on upgrading the motor and using the KBMM-125 so I don't think I'll try and replace this one. I would like to fix it to use for other applications plus it would be a good exercise in electronics troubleshooting.

I plan to install the 1000W motor that Hoss did some videos on a few months back, called it a "good emergency motor" for his G0704 so it should be good for the X2. My KBMM-125 should be here Monday so I'll likely be searching for examples of hook up schematics from you guys that have already been down that path.

first thing i would do is pull the armature and give it a cleaning , the contacts get dirty from the brush dust and the motors will crap out , I have to clean up my motors every few months , otherwise they can quickly loose power mid cycle
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by moto52000 View Post
    Thanks for the offer. I plan on upgrading the motor and using the KBMM-125 so I don't think I'll try and replace this one. I would like to fix it to use for other applications plus it would be a good exercise in electronics troubleshooting.

I plan to install the 1000W motor that Hoss did some videos on a few months back, called it a "good emergency motor" for his G0704 so it should be good for the X2. My KBMM-125 should be here Monday so I'll likely be searching for examples of hook up schematics from you guys that have already been down that path.

I'm interested to see your progress on this.

I think the current feedback circuit probably has an open resistor (or desoldered ). Please, read the following document: http://www.hossmachine.info/Gerling%...viceManual.pdf

kreutz