586,089 active members*
3,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > tool lenght question

tool lenght question

Hi guys,

I would like to know if the tool lenght we have to specify in the "create/select tool" window should be the overall lenght of the tool or the lenght that is left once the tool is inside the tool holder.

Is it understable enough???...

Thanks

Olive

The length that is left out after install in holder.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Thanks Dare for your answer.

Well, the problem is that I have no idea of the lenght left once the tool is installed in the holder. The holder I use has no "top" limits so I can push the tool a long or a short way in the holder.

Is there another solutions? I thought I could indicate 0mm for the tool holder's lenght.

Thanks.

O

I have seen people put collar stops on the tools this is what I think I will do for now maby in the future I will build a touch pad for tool length these things are great but for now the collars should be fairly simple I bought a set from busy bee tools they were cheap. hope that helps maby somebody who knows about the touch pads can explain them in a little more detail.

The tool length sticking out of the holder is of little consequence. All that that is for is display of the toolholder when running simulation.
    Measure it with a scale (ruler) and input a slightly shorter length for safety.
    VM does NOT calculate for toolholder crash anyway, just shows it during sim.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

High guys,

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate.

Well, I have a touch pad for measuring the tool lenght, but I did not know it had an importance here. I guess my problems are solved...lol...

Anyway, if the tool lenght has no consequences on the toolpath, then it it will be easier for me..and for you...lol...

Thanks once again.
    Feel free to give me your last advices if you have some.

JediO

Just make sure that you have enough tool sticking out for your intended cut. I've unintentionally done some cutting with the collet nut. If you enter the correct stock information and tool length information into VM it will show problems in the simulation with red. But, even so, I rarely worry about it. What I need is something to keep track of where my dust collection assembly is in relation to my part.

Thanks for your answer.
    Well, I have done some test and it seems ok using the the touch pad.
    I always try to leave out a longer tool lenght than needed so that the tool holder will not touch the stock.

Thanks.

O