586,500 active members*
1,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Problem with gouging error when setting up Tension Compression routine in Sprut 8

Problem with gouging error when setting up Tension Compression routine in Sprut 8

Hi Fellow Sprut users.
    I have been setting up my first Tension Compression tapping routine in Sprut 8
    I am tapping 1/4"-20 holes in 1/4" 1018 steel.
    I have set up a hole machining routine to drill with a #7 bit in preparation for the 1/4"-20 tap.
    I have then set up for 1/4"-20 tapping with the T&C but I simulate, I get a red error during the tapping sequence that says it gouges the part. Do folks who use at T&C tapper get this yet go ahead and run the program with the error or is there another approach that gets the green check during simulation.
    I know that since the hole for the tap is a smaller diameter than the 1/4"-20 tap diameter is sending an error message but it seems weird that Sprut would have a tapping routine and still have this error message.
    Thanks for any responses.

Re: Problem with gouging error when setting up Tension Compression routine in Sprut 8

OK, I just ran it as it was and everything went well. I guess this is just the way it is and one can deselect gouge detection if they want.

Re: Problem with gouging error when setting up Tension Compression routine in Sprut 8

CadRhino, Indeed the issue may be that the hole in your model is smaller than the diameter of the tap. Even size on size will sometimes throw an error. But as you seem to have already figured out, getting a red error mark does not always mean that the program is faulty. Always check the simulation to see if gouging is real.