586,390 active members*
3,063 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Z changing

Z changing

I noticed that my Z is changing, well the programs are running……doesn't do it on every part…about every 3 part run. I run the same program 15 times a day..?

Re: Z changing

This is a very wide open statement. Couple things could be happening. Are you sure you aren't getting collar pullout? If you think you are truly loosing steps you can put an indicator in the spindle. 0 the indicator on the top of your table. A d then run a simple code of g0 z10 g0 z0 over and over you can put a g4 p1 after the z0. Watch the indicator as it runs over and over. Should return to 0 everytime. If not then you got bigger issues. Every single time I've thought my z was changing and getting inconsistent depths it was my own fault or collet pullout

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    This is a very wide open statement. Couple things could be happening. Are you sure you aren't getting collar pullout? If you think you are truly loosing steps you can put an indicator in the spindle. 0 the indicator on the top of your table. A d then run a simple code of g0 z10 g0 z0 over and over you can put a g4 p1 after the z0. Watch the indicator as it runs over and over. Should return to 0 everytime. If not then you got bigger issues. Every single time I've thought my z was changing and getting inconsistent depths it was my own fault or collet pullout

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Yes that should expose the error - then you need to track it down to its source.

I have had this and it was Stepper to Ballscrew coupling creep. If you take off the Z access cover and mark the positions with a white out pen and run that code again - if this is the issue you will see the positions shift.

If it is not that it is still good to have these marks - as they should stay in line and can be checked in the future.

Cheers, Keen

This could be happening on your Z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgx3G4TxIc4

IF it's not that, watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5hM7ORrGOg