586,080 active members*
3,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Need Suggestions: Which type Plastic should I use?
Page 1 of 2 12

Question Need Suggestions: Which type Plastic should I use?

I hope this is the best place for this question, so here goes!

I am looking at having grips injection molded in two parts for a military knife I have designed with another knifemaker. The grips would still be removable and held in place with screws. You can see pics of the handmade version of the knife ere: http://www.wilkins-knives.com/utility_e.html The injection molded grips will have a slightly different texturing, but you get the idea. The grips shown are machied from G-11 or Micarta.

Obviously we need a plastic for injection molding that is grippy when wet, impact resistant, heat resistant, etc. Probably some type of glass or Kevlar filled?

What would you folks suggest that would make a nice knife grip?
    www.wilkins-knives.com

Just curious.. this aint my field, but always curious here:

Why not wood handles?

Grippy, not slippy.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

You can't injection mold wood...
    www.wilkins-knives.com

I would suggest going with nylon. It's easily moldable and extremely tough so it could take all of the environments your knife would be in.

I do Injection molding as my trade and nylon is probably our most used material it's just extremely rugged.

A glass filled nylon is one option we're talking about...
    www.wilkins-knives.com

I would recommend fiberglass filled nylon also. Just be sure that your molds are built tough enough for the fiberglass.

Jim

Thanks Jim, It doesn't look like I'll be making the molds myself, I have a pretty good quote from one company here in Berlin and will get another from a company in Istanbul who do a lot of work in the firearms industry.

The knife in question is the Jordan/Wilkins Military knife which you can see pics of here: http://www.wilkins-knives.com/utility_e.html
    www.wilkins-knives.com

Two-stage with thermoplastic rubber?

Another alternative (but expensive) is to have the grips two-part moulded in glass-reinforced nylon with some of the outer surface overmoulded in a more grippy thermoplastic elastomer material.

You see this often on good quality hand tools and it really does make for a superior product. I'm not an expert on this but I think you are looking at adding something like 30 to 40% to your costs.

I don't know that glass fill is really necessary and you could go with a outer surface of neoprene as in some of the higher end hand tools. We have worked with neoprene on several of our products and you can get it in several grades, colors, etc. Glass fill would be great if you were building a structural part but just to have as an exterior surface i feel would would be adding expense and pretty unnecessary not to mention having to have a coated/hardened mold to keep the glass fill from removing the surface of your mold. Our nylon parts with glass fill are extremely durable but you tend to crack or chip them when hit just right. Nylon 6 by itself remains tough but flexible and tends to lend itself to abuse a little better in an application that not structural.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps

Have you considered Polycarbonated Plastic? The stuff they make lenses out of for eye glasses and it is also used for windshilds in our Fighter Aircraft. It's very strong,clear and will take a heck of a wack to break it.

Polycarbonate is an outstanding choice but again a bit overkill for handles-the pricing of polycarbonate is very expensive. I think the last time we purchased PC it was over $5(US) per pound- nylon is closer to $2(US) per pound. Also PC when it is stressed (i.e. using a bolt to retain it) if it is tightened to much you will get stress cracks (crazing) radiating from the bolt hole which will cause brittleness in your part and make it easier to break if it were wacked.

If this part were to be structural I would definately say go with fiber reinforced nylon you almost can't beat it in rugged tests. If it was to be an injection molded single part then I would go with the PC.

But i would say your best bet for hand grips is a textured mold with Nylon.

Thanks for the info!

I don't think PC would be a good choice for the grips but I'll try and find out more. Nylon – whether with or without fibres – is looking more like it.

Does anyone know what types of plastic are used for pistol grips on modern pistols?
    www.wilkins-knives.com

was looking through the latest 'General' catalog- It appears ABS and Glass filled Nylon are used quite a bit in handgrips

Neoprene grips would probably mean that you could get away with a cheaper resin for the main body (ABS?) as the rubber would absorb any blows. It looks a weighty piece of steel to be throwing around so this is probably a critical consideration. Coring out the design would reduce the risk of sink marks that you wouldn't get with a reinforced nylon.

I agree with the comments on Polycarbonate - it is a quality material but resin/processing costs will be high and it is hygroscopic, which could lead to the stress cracking.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...v34/ai_7423593

It seems they can be made of anything!

Search for Bill Jordan grips, they're moulded plastic from Pachmayr who usualy make rubber grips.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

material selection

HI i was involved a few years back in the SA80 rifle project that was and i believe still is atandard issue weapon to the uk armed forces.
    the handle on that weapon was moulded in glass filled nylon and the rifle butt end that sits against the shoulder was moulded in polyurathane which was for recoil absorbtion reasons as it is a very spongy rubbery material.
    the grip on the handle came from the shape and the coarse spark eroded finish that was moulded on it.
    regards
    mark from the good old UK

That's great info! Thank you. I hope to have to drawings ready this week to get some quotes.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

Nylon is the best choice we make lots of things that, well let just leave it at go bang. Nylon is by far the best choice, 2nd choice for grips is abs. I would stick with nylon 6/6. Dont spill anything like acetone, gas, or lighter fluid, on all of the other choices (including the abs). Nylon will not care what you spill on it. hope this helps (from a grip maker).
    Jetski (alias Tooling and Engineering Czar)
    "I may not have the keys to success.. but I have learned to pick the locks"

That's really helpful info! Much appreciated.

What type wall thicknesses are good for Nylon 6/6?

Here's a rendering of the grips as redesigned for molding. The original, milled grips can be seen on my website:http://www.wilkins-knives.com/utility_e.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails military_knife_handle_rev2.jpg  
    www.wilkins-knives.com

.090 inches or 2.25 mm. is pretty standard. You can go thicker any you can go thinner depending on design issues. Shrink will be about .018 inches per inch. By the way Nice looking knives on your web site! The best way to help you out is, go to the mateial supplier and get thier information design guides. Hope this helps.
    Jetski (alias Tooling and Engineering Czar)
    "I may not have the keys to success.. but I have learned to pick the locks"

Page 1 of 2 12