586,123 active members*
3,454 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Control Software > LaserCut > Can my laser cutting machine cut through 16 gauge steel?

Can my laser cutting machine cut through 16 gauge steel?

I've been told a few times now that the laser machine (machine is an ap lazer 4836) can cut through metal by the same "project manager" at work. This happened once before where he told me it can and will cut the metal. After 30 passes and almost an hour of blasting it, the pieces did not even come close to coming out. I actually shorted the machine out and it was a huge problem to get it up and running properly again. Can anyone tell me if this machine will actually do the job? We have a plasma machine and I think this dude is just trying to show me "that he is the boss".

Re: Can my laser cutting machine cut through 16 gauge steel?

Go to SN4836 Laser Machine - AP Lazer and click on "Materials". You will see that AP themselves indicates the machine is not capable of doing so. With a 100 watt tube, you 'could' do it, with exact focus, many passes, and a marking solution applied to help absorb the energy. Your best bet would be something with at least 2-300 watts for cutting through 16 gauge.

What ever 16 gauge Means i think Cutting Metall with Laser Starts way beyond 100 w ...

16 gauge is the measure of how thick it is. In this case, 1.6mm. I have seen machines cutting 16 gauge with a 250 watt CO2 laser. For a fiber or diode, you would need closer to 400 watts, and the speed isn't fast. It is very slow, but it is possible. Obviously, if you had, say, a Trumpf 6000 CO2 resonator then it would slice it like melted butter at 5 meters a minute, but those cost upwards of US$200,000. I certainly don't have that budget, if I did, oh, the toys I would buy!!

I agree. To cut 16 gauge steel we need at least 200 watt laser. Why not try our 500 watt fiber laser cutter? Capacity is 3mm stainless and 6mm carbon steel. 1.6mm 304SS cutting speed can also reach 5 meters a minute, but price will be much lower than Trumpf 6000. If you are interested, I'd love to answer your questions.

Ohk, I'll bite. Who do you work for, what product line are you selling? I do have need of a good laser.

Glory pm me as well thx

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Here goes! Our big boy 500W laser cutter
    Attachment 264902

I was wadering through a used equipment company's web site and saw this. It is not entirely true that a CO2 laser will not cut metal and 95% of what we cut is 16 and 11 gauge, but with that size of machine you can really move. thanks