I have been driving this step motor:
www.alltronics.com/mas_assets/acrobat/28M046.pdf ,

...connected bipolar parallel, for some time on my diy router table with good luck. However, the motor has never-ever-ever, I do mean ever :tired:gotten even the slightest bit warmer than ambient. So I have started to assume I could drive it much harder?? I am driving it using a Gecko G203 and have it set with the current set resistor at about 6 amps, based on the datasheet recommendations of 5.5 amps per phase(fudged upwards a smidge since it does not get warm).

But it finally dawned on me that perhaps I have misunderstood the datasheet, or the basic parallel vs. series driving requirements in general, and that I could drive this at 11 amps(5.5 X 2) when wired parallel. Problem is, a google search for "high current step motor drivers" reveals nothing on my end that beats the 7 amp max of the G203.

So my questions are:
1) Am I correct in thinking that I can safely operate this motor at 11 amps when connected bipolar parallel?
2)If so, would I be better off finding some microstepping drive that can operate at 11 amps(does it exist), or reconnecting this motor as bipolar series and set the appropriate resistor for 5.5 amps?

The main complaint with the current setup is the lack of acceleration on the axis. I am driving a relatively heavy gantry(about 150 pounds) using this motor via a single high lead ballscrew, and although my feedrates and rapids are very satisfactory, I never get to these speeds on this axis due to the low acceleration and relatively small table size. And when using constant velocity settings on quick roughing operations, I get very exaggerated results.