586,567 active members*
3,653 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

bed question for plasma table

I just got my new plasma/router 4x8 table. I noticed that the metal slats for the bed have a lot of side to side movment. To me it looks like the slots they cut for the 3/16x2" are to wide (1/4"). Is this normal? will i have problems with items i cut moving around?

thanks for any input

Plasma cutting puts no tangential force on the cut. Only forces are from material warpage and occur mostly in the vertical plane. While I think lose slats are more a "fit & finish" issue I often clamp thinner material (14 gA and thinner) to the slates of my table with spring clamps the keep it from bowing and warping too much and I depend on the slats not moving to hold the work in place. I machined the slots for my slats so that it takes a tap of a hammer to seat or remove them.

The other issue is of course the router. If you plan on using the slats as a foundation for the spoil board having it loose or wabbly with router cutting forces could be a problem.

Since you own a CNC plasma table you have the equipment to make new slat holders that might be a better fit (:-)

Thanks torchhead, I was hoping the company that made the table would of did a better fit and finish. So far they dont really seem to want to stand behind some of the items that are wrong with it. One problem I noticed is there so loose that if i slide some steel on the table the slats fall off there bracket.

Give them an opportunity to make it right. If they refuse then remain calm and let us know who it is on the list and perhaps some negative publicity will have them rethink their approach. A bunch of screaming and negative posts do less to get attention than a simple statement of the problems and the companies failures to address them. A lot of potential buyers are interested in how the different brands compare and after-the-sale support has to be at the top of the list.

Honestly all of the mid range sellers have problems. Each machine is built (sometimes by different people and semi-skilled workers) to be able to make money at a price point far below true commercial machines. A lot of vendors don't put much stock in quality control and the variance between one table and another can be wide. Most of the vendors have happy customers and a few unhappy ones. It's how they handle the problems that makes the difference.

Good luck on the getting what you want, but in case you don't, just lay out the facts and let the court of public opinion rule!

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com