586,116 active members*
3,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Clanbadge Celtic Font

Clanbadge Celtic Font

Hi all,

anybody working with the Clanbadge Celtic Font and knows of a tool to design celtic motifs with it ?

Thanks

Richard

Re: Clanbadge Celtic Font

How to Draw Celtic Knotwork

I think, this can help you

that font might works for printing, with ink...

for cnc and for routing, you better to go with real life stuff.. like tsinos posted..

theres a lot free or low cost celtic knot program,,,

Steve Abbott's Computer Drawn Celtic Knotwork

this one can generate differen patterns, even you can mill it.. it has obj, output as model, also greyscale map can be exported..

buying a font with a few couple of pattern... you going to get no where..

type in google knotwork computer... and similar words..

Thanks guys for your links. But this is not what I'm after.

that font might works for printing, with ink... for cnc and for routing you better to go with real life stuff
    Using the Clanbadge font and VCarve Pro I got nice results :Attachment 260656Attachment 260654

Since I didn't find any tool or editor I was looking for I tried to write one myself. This tool and a Clanbadge font installed will simplify the creation of celtic knot motifs by just clicking in the source grid to select a symbol and the clicking in the destination grid to add the symbol.Attachment 260650

I asked for such an editor or tool hoping I would not have to write one by myself (with my hobbiest knowledge of programming)

Thanks again,

Richard

well

little confusing youre wishing..

if you like to write a program about cltic knots... and I mean trough variables generating knots, then source forge or steve abbott can help you..
    while many folks on the forum expert of programming, in visual basic, or visual C the knots has an own math.. steve abbotts just discuss about on his site..

you purchased a true type font, the clanbadge, and it has shapes..

you can put next each other and try to ""welding"" together or with node editing creating the necessary closed shapes, but that is a lot work..

that's what I was concerning when I said its great for printing...

go ahead create shapes, and you can put into a fontfile, and you can call from keyboard the elements... same way that your clanbadge font..
    in the fontfile, you can place the shapes relative to inserting point , define the width ,,, and as you type it shapes will snap together..
    but still need to editing vectors..
    it doesn't work without editing..

but true type fonts, due to windows can not contain unclosed vectors, windows need closed vector to represent font or shape on the monitor...
    mightbe a simple offsetting makes the closed outlines..

as I said many out there
    I downloaded from sourceforge, and simply started to use..

you can adjust everything , stroke widths, corners, loops ending..

after this all you need is finding pictures and you can recreate your own..

program exports in svg format.. inkscape another great stuff converts svg to eps, pdf, dxf ...

still you can try to write one, or modify this..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new-1.jpg  

Indepentend if it is a symbol font like the clanbadge or simple letters. You will always have to weld the vectors to mill the contours.
    I used a font editor to make the clanbadge overlap 1 unit horizontal and the rest of work can easily be done on VCarve Pro.

And by the way I have knotter installed too and it makes fun to work with it.

Richard

the screenshot you posted leaves visible gap between shapes..
    my concern is the extra work.. and a limited shape collection within a font..

while a knot editor gives you the real independency..

also as you mentioned, you used fonteditor.. I would expect author makes it... but, if the fontfile overlaps shapes, then windows ""combine"" them and you get on the monitor a white area between shapes..

so for the end my question is, if you already know fonteditors, also can work vectors, you could build your own fontset.. or knot set...

I also like to minding on things, but celtic knots are an area where many works published, and simplest is using the one that fit for my taste..

anyway... good to see despite so many option out there, still folks minding on new ways..