586,926 active members*
2,729 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: les Paul top

Page 1 of 4 123

Hybrid View

les Paul top

Has anyone designed a top using the cycloid plugin??

If so would anyone be willing to show pics of you work??

I should of said cycloid plugin for rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by slpd View Post
    Has anyone designed a top using the cycloid plugin??

If so would anyone be willing to show pics of you work??
    Hi,

This isn'y exactly a Les Paul, it's a tenor viol, but it will give you the general idea. I ran this off quickly, I will do something soon that looks more love a LP (I actually want to make up an archtop based on the Benedetto drawings).

Maybe you could answer a question for me. Typically when I render something I get a nice smooth gray colored surface, but when I render an instrument like this I get these black lines. And idea what I'm doing wrong, if anything?

In that case of the viol I find Rhino gets confused if you select to many lines to render, so I just selected the cycloid arches. It may also be worth selecting everything, then trimming to the original outline.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Ok guys.....help me out. What is this plug exactly. I looked at the zip and it looks like the surface is made up of lines??? sdantonio is that what you were referring to?

Have you guys tried this on other objects than musical instruments? Would it work for instance on something like this?

Mike

edited to add: I have a double cut LP you can have if it will help you. Fairly good surface too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CUDA2[1].jpg  
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Hi,

This isn'y exactly a Les Paul, it's a tenor viol, but it will give you the general idea. I ran this off quickly, I will do something soon that looks more love a LP (I actually want to make up an archtop based on the Benedetto drawings).

Maybe you could answer a question for me. Typically when I render something I get a nice smooth gray colored surface, but when I render an instrument like this I get these black lines. And idea what I'm doing wrong, if anything?

In that case of the viol I find Rhino gets confused if you select to many lines to render, so I just selected the cycloid arches. It may also be worth selecting everything, then trimming to the original outline.
    Thanks for the file.

When rendering what are your settings ??

I have had no problems while using rhino render with your file.

I have also shaded your file with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by slpd View Post
    Thanks for the file.

When rendering what are your settings ??

I have had no problems while using rhino render with your file.

I have also shaded your file with no problems.
    I just used the generic settings as they come from Rhino. I would have to go and look at them again. Pretty much I just highlight the crossarch curves and hit surface/loft and let rhino do the rest.

Loft options:

style = normal
    closed loft not checked

cross section curves option
    do not simplfy selected

Just found out that if I simplfy it it looks much better.
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

I once had a problem when rendering in rhino very similiar, I ended up reinstalling windows.

sdantonio

I tried the plugin but had problems trying to get it to work.

Mike,

The plugin is here

http://www.rhino3d.e-cnc.com/#cc

Once upon a time I posted here and asked if anyone could start me off with the writing of a pluggin to do just what this ones does. I also posted to one of the Rhino groups hosted by McNeel. One of the guys at the Rhino group took it upon himself to write the entire thing for me. I guess he needed a break from writing Rhino code all day .

Steven

Hi

I am very interested to find out ,If you guys are making guitar bodies with cnc routers - what routers are you using - because some of the plans refer to dremmels and its my guess they are not up to the job,any help before I start on my machine
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk

Corrie

Can't view the files what program are you using

Hi Drakkn,

Many are using routers they have built, but not all. Some use commercial machines and one I know of has used a vertical machining center. I agree with you that I don't think the dremmel is up to the job, at least for me it would not be.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Drakkn View Post
    Hi

I am very interested to find out ,If you guys are making guitar bodies with cnc routers - what routers are you using - because some of the plans refer to dremmels and its my guess they are not up to the job,any help before I start on my machine

Sdantonio

File Has Already Been Sent.

Can you backplot the code,I was messing with Rhino and Bobcadcam.I don,t believe there are pockets for the picups or neck tenon.Let me know whats going on,cheers.

corrie

Can you backplot the code,I was messing with Rhino and Bobcadcam.I don,t believe there are pockets for the picups or neck tenon.Let me know whats going on,cheers.
    I do not understand the question

I think what he wants to know is if you can backplot a gcod in Bobcad and save it as a dxf then import that into rhino.

The answer is yes, but you have to remember that the gcode may have been built with a post processor that may well have applied tool offsets etc. I don't know if those are applied when backplotting. Even it it is center of toolpath you will still have lots of problems get the geometry correct if this is 3d. If it is a 2d tool path I have done lots of those.

Mike

Third Code File

Corrie,

Will you be posting the third G-Code file.

Bruce
    Bruce

Corrie

If you need I can tell you my dimensions for pickup cavities

Hey all ,thanks but dont need picup pockets or such ,I tried to post 3rd file but it was too large and was not permited .P.M. me if you want but can,t promise when you,ll get it.I,ll try a zip hope it,s the one I was after.
    Attached Files Attached Files

This might help for the curtate cycloid plugin users.

You might look at the commands ProjectToCPlane, SetPt for "squashing"
    existing geometry onto a principal plane, and for the Project option with
    Osnaps to keep stuff on the CPlane while creating it. That's for keeping
    things flat...

It looks like you're having problems lining up curve ends, you need to use
    object snaps for that, and maybe the judicious of Orient (with Osnaps) to
    lightly scale and move a profile so that both ends match up to another
    curve.

Steven

Page 1 of 4 123