586,121 active members*
3,249 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Increase efficiency of rotating shaft.

Here I describe one mechanical engineering situation that is very useful in any kind of mechanical and energy consumed industries.I hope you will try to understand it and use it. If you find any difficulty to understand ,feel free to ask me.
    we can increase efficiency of rotating shaft. we can lift mass using less energy by using simple mechanism. please take few minute to read .we can use this technology in power plants and transportation vehicles.
    The base of this theorey is force or weight is stationary and it can help to rotate pulleys . we can convert gravitational force into energy while the mass or weight is stationary.
    Click on Photos to View Figures(Energyefficiency and Energy efficiency1)

The figure(energy efficiency) is in cross section. as shown in figure, there are two cases. in each case there are two pulleys of same diameter. each pulley is of exactly circular shape.In first case 50 k.g weight is fixed with each pulley as shown in figure. The center of each pulley is fixed. Between these two pulleys there is a stationary plate. plate will remain stationary, while rotating the pulleys because centers of pulleys are fixed. 100 k.g weight is put on this plate. The force or weight of plate is applied on these two pulleys in vertical downward direction. now we try to rotate slowly first pulley in clockwise direction and second pulley in anti clockwise direction. lubrication is provided between the contact surfaces of stationary plate and pulleys.
    In second case two pulleys of same diameter. 50 k.g weight is also fixed with each pulley, but there is no stationary plate and 100 k.g weight. Now we try to rotate slowly first pulley in clockwise direction and second pulley in anti clockwise direction.
    As free body diagram in first case we can rotate pulleys using less moment of force. we can lift mass using less energy.

1. In case 1) the moment necessary to rotate each pulley is

m=(-g/2cos(bita)+g1*cos(alpha))*r
    where:
    g is weight of plate (=100 kg)
    g1 is given weight (=50 kg)
    alpha and bita are angle of rotation of each pulley
    r is radius of pulley
    2. In case 2) weigt of plate g=0.
    Figure (energy efficiency1) is in cross section. As shown in figure two pulleys and 100 k.g. plate is arranged. Pulleys are designed so that from points a and a` to points b and b`, radii of pulleys continuously decrease. Now the weight or force of plate apply on point a and a` of two pulleys in vertical downward direction. Tangential component of this force helps pulley to rotate. when point b and b` come in contact with plate, plate traveled .5 cm in vertical downward direction. The gravitational energy plate loose is mgh=.005*50 n-mtr=.25 n-mtr. But the same time work done on pulley or energy got by pulley is mgcos(thita)h=.04*50*cos(thita), where theta is 45. so energy got is .04*50*cos45=.04*50*.7=1.4 n-mtr. .04mtr is periphery of pulley from point a to b. calculation is given only for one pulley. we can lift mass using less energy.
    To view figure pl visit my web page http://energyefficiency.zoomshare.com
    Jigar Y. Patel
    [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails energy efficiency.jpg   energyefficiency1.jpg   energyefficiency2.JPG  

What/How is something be lifted with less energy exactly?

Thanks

Less energy than what? If you mean less energy than the mass of the object times the distance it is lifted, get yourself over to the patent office. They're always looking for new perpetual motion machines.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Ken: I read someplace that the a Patent office has stopped taking applications for perpetual motion machines.

Even eternal optimists eventually realize that some things are fruitless ventures.

I suspect that the pulley deal will result in less energy input BUT you eventually have to lift the heavy sides of the "flywheels" up so as to overcome the lack of weight that is in the portion of the flywheel with the holes - the old force times distance gambit in a nutshell. Otherwise, I can't understand diddly about the technical explanation put forth by the proponent of the concept.

I do know that energy can not be created nor destroyed - it can only change states (potential to kinetic or vice versa).

Speaking of which, this thread has a quite a bit of potential for aimlessness and sillyness if we can get the right creative minds involved....

Quote Originally Posted by NC Cams View Post
    Ken: I read someplace that the a Patent office has stopped taking applications for perpetual motion machines.

[stuff deleted]

Speaking of which, this thread has a quite a bit of potential for aimlessness and sillyness if we can get the right creative minds involved....

I had read the same thing... and I had hoped to contribute to the aimlessness and sillyness. :-)

Does anyone know where I can find a tongue in cheek smily?

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Quote Originally Posted by NC Cams View Post
    .....Speaking of which, this thread has a quite a bit of potential for aimlessness and sillyness if we can get the right creative minds involved....

I thought they were all aimlessed and sillinessed out on the Steorn thread; the 'Energy Holy Grail'.

In some in stances, too much silliness is ALMOST enough.

We'll see what the future brings. The techno-improbable ideas put forth in the roots of this thread almost beg for wanton silliness....