586,094 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Control Software Recommendation?

I'm new to CNC. My goal is to convert my RF 31 mill/drill to CNC and to build a CNC plasma table from scratch. Question: Which software seems to fit the average homeshop machinist best for function and value? Recommendations/comments welcome.
    Doug

like a lot of cheap guy's out there i started with turbocnc, then i bought the deskcnc controller (because it only needed windows 98). i never really got comfortable with it, and finally bit the bullet and bought a newer computer for my wife so i could steal hers and use it and as the machine controller. (it is an xp computer with 2ghz) now i run Mach 3. at the momment my brother is getting started with cnc and i told him to go straight for mach.

Hi,
    When I converted my RF-31, I chose TurboCNC ( www.dakeng.com) for various reasons that I have stated in various threads previously.

However for plasma, I am not sure this would be the best choice. (I don't do plasma at this time), so you may want to look at Machx to handle that situation.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Thanks, I seem to find good comments about the Mach 3 as I look at different sites. I'll take a close look at it for my projects.
    Doug

Mach 3

My 2 Sense

Another vote for Mach 3 if you please. I don't normally post but
    this was to good to pass up.