586,069 active members*
3,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A Axis Constant Rotation

Is there a way to make the A axis continuously rotate like a spindle while performing some other xyz operations (I.E. deburring)?
    thanks,
    joe v.

Yes, you have to spend some money..... it is an option.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Quote Originally Posted by newtexas2006 View Post
    Yes, you have to spend some money..... it is an option.
    From Haas??? Can you give a link to where it is mentioned on their website.

No, it is not from Haas, I think it was from Matsuki(something like that). I will try find the video link for you.

Quote Originally Posted by newtexas2006 View Post
    No, it is not from Haas, I think it was from Matsuki(something like that). I will try find the video link for you.
    That is okay thank you. Because this is in the Haas Forum I figured you were referring to a Haas product.

As far as I know, you can not just "turn on" the A axis like a spindle with some sort of M3 like command. However, depending on the age of your machine control, you can input a very large number as the final degree value (in absolute) and thus rotate the A axis a large number of turns, which might be good enough for you... On mine I seem to recall I could get the thing to rotate at least 75 turns. Beware, although I could program or MDI these large values and they would execute, when stopped, after some large value, the handwheel no longer worked to turn the axis. --ch

Thanks - FYI Hardinge direct drive

I think I can do what I need with 10 to 20 turns, I was just curious especially after seeing the Hardinge direct drive rotary products. Their direct drive 5C can go 4500 deg/ sec. (around 750 rpm) vs my HA5C worm drive 360 deg/sec.

Now you really can turn your mill into a turn/mill center only control is still an issue.

Thanks, Joe V.

There is a "super speed" version of the HA5C at 800 deg/sec, obviously nowhere near as fast as the Hardinge... Gear drive vs. direct. I wonder if at some point Haas will bring out a competing product, or you will be able to "plug-n-play" the Hardinge into the Haas control. --ch

060922-0613 EST USA

1ctoolfool:

With a stand alone external controller that had RS232 input you could use DPRNT commands to run the A axis.

Engraving and other continuous operations that require close instantaneous synchronization of the various axes would not work well with such a setup. But turning or positioning to a fixed location would work fine.

I think Haas do make it too, you have to find out from them.
    http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...MU-500V_01.flv