586,655 active members*
3,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Tree Millennium 4200

Tree Millennium 4200

Hi, Is anyone familiar with the Tree Millennium 4200 Mill?
    As I understand, this was an offshoot of the original Tree Machine Journeyman 425. I purchased one of these recently, and am trying to find out the proper retention knobs, tapers, ect. to use. I believe it is a Cat40 taper, but I'm not sure how to verify that.
    This thing has an Anilam control on it with MSI brush type drives and motors.
    I'm not too concerned with the control, but schematics would be nice if anyone has them.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Millennium

I have a Millennium Tree Mill also and so far I've been impressed with the performance of the mill. Like you, I have hunted for the schematics for the mill with no luck. I've called some of the ex Tree people at I believe it is S & S Machinery and they didn't know where any of the Millennium documentation was. They said they were made at a different location Quote "using smaller and cheaper parts such as smaller ball screws, example z axis 3/4" ball screw instead of 1 1/2" ". I checked mine and well it had 1 1/2" ball screw on the z-axis sort of reminded me of he said she said.

What Anilam control do you have on your machine mine is the 1100 and for a first introduction into CNC machining I found it user friendly after I figured out how to set home for the machine. I love the conversational programming and on board calulators for those quicky jobs. I purchased the Anilam off-line software and do most of my programming of larger projects at home instead of standing at the machine. The off line software also has a g-code to conversational convertor and dxf convertor all very useful. Oh I almost forgot it also has DNC for drip feeding to your machine. I don't work for Anilam I'm just a pleased customer.

If you luck up and find someone who has the schematics I'm interested also.
    As for the tooling I believe (if yours is like mine) it should be "NMTB" either 30 or 40 if you have a tool holder check it. If you see numbers starting with either QC30 or QC40 that is for quick change tool holders. You can fine a picture of them in MSC's big book page 1572.

I hope some of this rambling might help.

Tree Millennium

Hi Toolbit,
    Thanks for responding to my post. The machiine I have has the 1400 series Anilam on it, with MSI brush type drives and motors. I agree the machine seems very robust compared to others.
    I spoke with one of the orginal Tree guys before I purchased the machine, and as I recall, he said, the Millennium was a venture Tree undertook to reduce costs in producing the machine. He also said the 4200 was the same basic machine as the Journeyman 425, with some differences in the manufacturing. He stated they had some issues with the tables not being square and such. I was also referred to 3S Incorporated http://www.3sincorporated.com/, who seems to be a very good resource for service and parts. The fellow there stated several times the spindles were the weak member with these mills, and to make sure and use clean lubricated air or the drawbar can be a problem.
    No one seemed interested in helping with the controls issue.
    I did not get a holder fitted with the machine. One was given to me but I was told it had the incorrect rentention knob at the time. The holder is a CAT40 taper though. You say your machine uses a NMTB40? That was the reason I posted this in the first place.
    As far as the schematics go, I am in the process of recreating the drawings, as time permits. I should be able to help you there later.
    Thanks for your help.

The Millennium was created to allow Tree to use a different set of distributors rather than being tied into the Ellison and REM groups. Problem is that they were trying to sell both labels of the machines into the same shops, price competing against each other. So, the Millennium line got sunk. Spec and parts wise the machines were EXACTLY the same, no differences on QA positioning wise or geometrically... they weren't second rate machines. Same ballscrews, same bearing, same mfg. facility.

Holders for the Millennium 4200 are standard CAT40, retention knobs are Valenite PT475 or equivalent.

TOOLBIT: Your machine is a Millennium 3100. All early Tree J310s and Millennium 3100s had the skinny Z ballscrew, all late model machines had the larger ballscrew.

Bob Norman

Thank you Zpsbob!! That is great information. Sounds like you are pretty familar with the Tree product.
    Do you know who the controls supplier (suppliers) were for the Millennium?
    As I said earlier in this post, my system has an Anilam S1400 system with MSI drives for the CNC. The spindle side uses a Yaskawa VFD. The wiring practice looks as though two separate suppliers were used. Do you know if this was the case?
    Also do you know how many millenniums were shipped before the product line was sunk?

Early Millenniums came with Dynapath controls, just like their Tree counterparts, basically just painted differently. After the first couple dozen then they swapped over to the Anilam 1100 and 1400. The 1100 came completely prewired in the side cabinet, the back cabinet was the standard Tree chinese cabinet that came with the machine. The 1400 was fitted into the standard Tree side cabinet. and all wiring was done at Tree, not two different suppliers, but maybe two different skill levels

I have no idea of total numbers for the millenniums, I'd have to guess 150 or so??? Maybe more?

Bob

Thanks again for the insight Zpsbob. I was curious about why the controls schematics are so hard to find for the Millennium. I thought maybe there was a controls group somewhere that may have something tucked away in an archive. I did contact Anilam and they were nice enough to send me schematics of the S1400. Unfortunately since they didn't provide the system they couldn't give me complete machine drawings.
    I wonder if they would they be a resource for Toolbit's 3100 if the 1100 came in prewired from them?
    At any rate, many thanks to you guys for your help and feedback.
    Larry

The service department rarely dealt with the Millenniums, so the info probably got a bit separated. When Tree got bought by Excel, much of the old, low use info got mothballed. I'd guess that when they finally went belly up it didn't get moved with the rest.

Anilam should have drawings for the 1100, it was fairly complete when it came in.

I've got a couple folks working on trying to dig up some old drawings. I just recenly moved so I dug through all my old junk and had nothing. We'll see if anybody else I know can help. Don't get your hopes up too high, but I'll see what pops up.

Bob

Thanks again for the information Zpsbob. Any help you give is greatly appreciated.

The holy grail has been found!

I just got my hands on a folder full of prints and such for the Millennium machines. It is a helter-skelter mess of some real drawings and a bunch of hand sketches. This is what the machines were built with. I'm going to try and separate the good stuff, scan it, and put it on our website. It isn't going to happen overnight, but it will get there. If you saw this pile, you'd understand.

Bob

Cool,Can we get your website ? I'm sure a lot of Tree owners are licking their chops..Really appreciate your doing this ..Tree must have had a real good crew of people before it shut down, if you, Dan and Zorian are an example !
    Thanks from a lot of us

Adobe (old as dirt)

Our website is http://www.zpsusa.com/ The scans will be posted in an unlinked page within that site.

A history lesson:
    ZPS used to build the large vertical machines for Tree, to Tree's spec. We're now offering a complete line of our own products. I've been hesitant to post any of that here, I don't want to seem like I'm here to pimp our stuff :nono:

I came from Tree, started out bulding the 310's, 325's, worked my way through QA, managed the shop, 425 project, and then into service. Found it mighty convenient to slide across to ZPS when the relationship dissolved between Tree and ZPS. We still do try and support as many of the customers as we can, Many of the old Tree customers are our current customers and it's just a natural extension of the services we provide.

Bob

Smile Millennium documentation

Bob,

Do you still have the Millennium documentation?

Thank You

Jeff Alessi
    [email protected]

Hai

No i dont have any millennium documentations..

marking systems (nuts)

can someone tell me where the 24vdc power supply is on a tree millennium 4200 with anilam 1400 control,When I boot up it says no 24vdc power supply detected, servos will not reset...HELP

should be an approc 4x6x2 little thing in a silver bracket. usually made by Power One, and has black and white as 110VAC in, yellow & blue as 24VDC out.