586,075 active members*
3,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > 'What type of aluminium to buy to cnc rout out?

'What type of aluminium to buy to cnc rout out?

My local metal shop can sell me some 6060 and some 6063 type aluminum.

I have a 3 flute solid carbide spiral up bit that I want to use in my cnc router to rout out some stronger brackets.

What type of aluminium shoul I use, 6060 or 6063? or should I try to get something else?

Peter
    Australia

Not sure about the 6060 but 6063 is an alloy mainly used for extrusions. Many call it an architectural alloy. Main end uses are windows, doors, trim items, etc. This is the stuff your storm windows are made of. Not quite as machine freindly as a 6061 alloy but sounds like it might make some nice brackets....:cheers:

P.S. I've never cut this stuff but it sounds like it might be a bit on the gummy side....I'd use lots of juice on your cutter to keep it from galling up...

Yeah the bloke at the shop did say that it was for extrusions etc. I might have to go somewhere else.

Should I really try to find some 6061 instead. I don't plan to use coolant (WD-40) because I am worried that it might plash up onto my router and catch on fire or something.

Peter

6061 and 6063 pretty much machine similarly - either will cut with proper speeds and feeds.

Word of advice - PLAN on using at least WD 40 - not as a coolant, but to keep the AL from plugging up your cutter and turning into an aluminum lollipop.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.