586,080 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: My new mill

My new mill

I just bought a used IH mill with tree axis DRO's. I've been reading tons of material on this site, but need different info. Can somebody give me the names of some books that will educate me on the very basics of milling? I have bought a few end mills off e-bay, and was curious as how to hold larger cutters than the r8 collets will hold?
    ScottieB

Post pics , love pics. Just buy some collets off ebay and maybe some larger endmill holders, I think its an 1 1/4 diameter is the largest but don,t hold me to that I,m not sure.

i bought a 2" cutter with a 3/4 shank. fit right into my largest R8 collet

Congrads,
    Let's see some pictures, did you get any tooling, vises, edgefinders, parellels or other good stuff like that. You might want to take a peek at Bob Warfields site at http://www.thewarfields.com I think he may give some basic reference stuff there and may recommend some books. Besides he has a neat site with lots of cool stuff.

Ron

Generally you don't want to use a bigger cutter than a R8 will hold. The reason for that is because the tool has to hang out soooo far that chatter becomes a problem. And the machine has to run sooo slow.

But they do make hard collets. I can't locate a pic online of one.

Here is an ebay auction with a 1" R8 collet in it. These collect suck unless youy ONLY going up an down. If you use the side of the cutters the tend to slip.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRIDGEPORT-R8-12...QQcmdZViewItem