586,075 active members*
4,261 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cat spindle/quill for ih mill

does anyone know if there is a cat 30 or 40 spindle/quill for the ih mill?

Why not call Aaron Moss and ask him? I'm sure that he would be willing to tell you what's probable in contrast to what's merely possible.

i've spoken to aaron already and got an answer. i assumed because you mentioned cat spindles in your thread referencing discussion with aaron you may know something else. i have a ton of cat tooling i'd love to use, but at this point it doesn't look like the ih mill will be the new home.

unless someone else knows something :stickpoke

Anything's possible, but the idea is entirely improbable.

You'd have to replace the entire head and the final cost would be several times that of the mill itself. The diameter of a CAT30/40 taper is substantially larger than that of an R8, which means a much larger spindle, and hence much larger bearings, pulleys, etc.

You've probably already figured out that in the machine tool world, price goes up exponentially as size/speed go up linearly.

My manual RF40 clone came with either MT3, R8 or ISO30, All as no cost options. The quill diameter was the same in all cases. I took the ISO30 and soon wished I hadn't.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    Anything's possible, but the idea is entirely improbable.

You'd have to replace the entire head and the final cost would be several times that of the mill itself. The diameter of a CAT30/40 taper is substantially larger than that of an R8, which means a much larger spindle, and hence much larger bearings, pulleys, etc.

You've probably already figured out that in the machine tool world, price goes up exponentially as size/speed go up linearly.

I could swear that KB tools has a R8 to cat adapter. I dont have with me but i will try to check tonight.
    Randy

As the CAT30 has a larger diameter than R8 it would have to be an extention type adaptor and this would make it rather flexible, reduce your Z envelop and negate the main reason for using a CAT, which is the possibility of automatic tool changes.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    I could swear that KB tools has a R8 to cat adapter. I dont have with me but i will try to check tonight.
    Randy

Also you would need to be very inventive to overcome the drawbar conflict.

R8 requires a drawbar so does the CAT!!!!!!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Randy

Still
    these collets were held in with a nut at the end tg100 was the collet number. I have seen the end of these in home shop machinist alot. If I could get away without changing drawbar it is tempting especialy with a drawbar pushing the top of the head out of my reach.
    Randy