586,971 active members*
2,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma-vs-Router

If I have a router cnc what do I need to convert it over to a plasma cnc, besids the plasma cutter?:stickpoke

well you will need a way for the computer to turn on and off the arc, and a way to hold the torch to the z axis... long enough stinger cable on the plasma to be able to move around and not get tangled up... and depending on how your table is constructed possabley a different bed, or something that you can drop in over your existing bed, ie some wavy steel bars on edge...
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

I'm no expert but from CNCzone, I got the impression that plasma heads move across the cutting area quite fast. I think I recall that gearing therefore tends to be different.

Some input from the plasma guys I guess would clear that thought up.

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

i would tend to agree that you would want your feed speeds to be faster... whats your max IPM now?
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

To the best of my understanding, you will need one of these.

I don't think MDF or balsa, nor any other wood will care much for your plasma sparks. Just my two cents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 46600.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

this should be in every shop.... that reminds me, i gotta get one of thoes....