586,121 active members*
3,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for some insight

Hello to all. I am currently in the process of adding on to my existing shop. One reason is to make room for a cnc plasma table. I have ample welding and fabricating experience but really none at all with cnc. I am quite impressed with some of the builds here. Very nice work. Currently looking at ( and I have talked with Tom ) a HDIY unit from Precision Plasma. Here is where I need help. I cut a lot of stainless for my work + mild steel. 14Gage to 7Gage and some 1/4" in SS and all sorts of thickness in mild. Wondering what would be the best cnc package for me. This is my living so it is a business investment. I want to make the right choices here. Found this site recently and have spent quite a bit of time reading threads learning as I go. I do all my cad with Solidworks 2014 Standard. I really like it. Wondering how compatible it will be with a CandCNC program like Bladerunner or Plazpak. I know I am not even really getting started here but I have to start somewhere. Anyone who can give me some help on making choices would be appreciated. Looking forward to meeting some of you whiz bangs out there.I may need some of this time to time.(chair). Thanks in advance.

Perry

Re: Looking for some insight

Hi.
    You can consider the portable style. I mean there is no need of computer, it's built in the controller. The crafts are in USB, connecting to controller. Save room and easy assemble.
    As I know, it is compatible with main cutting softwares. Most portable cnc machines are for cutting M.M. and S.S.
    Best wish to your business!

Jason
    Machine, For save Labors.
    --From Jason(Wisebuy)

? Jason. I am not following you"re line of thought at all. I am trying to find someone who has first hand information on which cnc package would work best for me. I plan on building my own table. I am talking a 5 X 10 table here. Not portable !

Perry

The standard is pretty well Sheetcam for CAM, Mach3 for table controller and CandCNC electronics for most self built tables. Most are using CorelDraw for graphics but that can vary. I use all of the above and have been very happy with the results. Talk w/ Tom at CandCNC about which electronics package he would recommend after you tell him about the anticipated table usage.

:wave: Thanks. That is what I was looking for. Had a nice visit with Tom and Ron both this morning. Very helpful and nice. Here is what I am thinking.

Precision Plasma HDIY Gantry with servos-upgrade to larger track so I can run my oxy/act set up plus an additional mount for a router.
    CandCNC Bladerunner 5 axis set up
    HP 85 for the plasma cutter with 180 machine torch
    My own table build ( I love to fab )

What do you know about the new cutmaster A series plasma that thermal dynamics has out now? Anyone used one and if so how well does it perform ?

Thanks.

Bill is spot on on his recommendation!
    I have switched from an Thermal Dynamics A120 to a Hypertherm Powermax 85, I would estimate at least 50% better consumable life!
    No regrets there!

Tinman13

Thank you. I am not really considering the TD but I was curious about it. I think I will stay with the tried and true. Everyone seems to be happy with the HT unit. If I seem slow in returning a response it is not because I am ignoring you! I appreciate the response. Just extremely busy at the time.

Perry

I built a precision plasma 5x10 and used CandCNC ethercut package. I'm happy with it, still learning a lot. Its been about 6 months and I've made about 50% of my money back. I only sell signs and brackets though.

There is a lot of learning when you go this route. From someone who just did this don't go into it thinking you will fire up and all will be well (at least was the case with me). I'm still struggling with my THC on thin stainless. Hurdles are there but the support is great, Ron and Tom have both answered a lot of questions for me. Some were very dumb and Tom still helped me out.

I don't think I could've been happier with either company and I saved a lot of money building it myself.

02RedWS6TA

Thanks for that. Sorry I have not answered this sooner. Yeah. I know it will not be such a cakewalk no matter what but I do want to eliminate as much hassle as possible. Which kit did you get exactly ? Steppers or servos ? I am going to purchase in the next few days because of U. Sam if you know what I mean ! Never satisfied no matter what ! Later.

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by oneweldingpapa View Post
    02RedWS6TA

Thanks for that. Sorry I have not answered this sooner. Yeah. I know it will not be such a cakewalk no matter what but I do want to eliminate as much hassle as possible. Which kit did you get exactly ? Steppers or servos ? I am going to purchase in the next few days because of U. Sam if you know what I mean ! Never satisfied no matter what ! Later.

Perry
    I got the 4 axis stepper kit. When I asked Tom he didn't see a reason for me to get the servo kit. Actually he made a shopping cart for me and just sent me an invoice. I told him what I was building and what I expected and just asked him to put a package together and send me a paypal invoice with what he thought I nneeded.

He sent me a feather touch I haven't hooked up yet too. I'm going to hook it up this week and see if it helps with my stainless issues.

Thanks Red.

I think servos for me and it will be a plazpak package because of what I want to do. This is a start for me in cnc and it has been a learning experience for sure ! I will be calling Tom early in the morning for some more answers. I have looked at some motor pckgs. that are available for cnc and it is pretty basic really. One thing I will be getting for sure is the thc from Tom. I looked into hypertherms arcglide thc but just too much money to justify on a lower end machine. Right now it will probably be a CandCNC pckg. and my own gantry and table build. There are a few things I can do with the current build to achieve my goals which have been adjusted since visiting several forum members shops. It will be dual drive on the y axis and I am building a heavier gantry than most although I am backing off on my original intentions ! Precision rack and pinion and have not yet decided on whether to go belt or gear reduction. Basically I am going to build a table to get me by with my sights set much higher down the road. Will say this. It has been a great help to be on the forum here and elsewhere to meet and learn from others.

You might talk to Mike ( oldsarge ) and see what he says on your stainless issues. He was telling me a way he does with his air on the plasma so he can get a his water level right up close to the sheet. Might help.

Later. Perry