586,111 active members*
3,097 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > noob to camworks, help needed

noob to camworks, help needed

hey guys, been playing with camworks here lately, ran into a problem. used solid works to make a simple part that had a few hole a few slots and a profile cut, went to cut it out using my home built cnc, and after the cut the holes were small and all the dimensions seems to be off slightly like some kind of offset has been done. but looking at the tool path parameters everything looks correct. i will try to get screenshots of everything but does anyone have any ideas for me to check?

i also took the part and imported to artcam and cut it out and it was perfect so its not the part.

Re: noob to camworks, help needed

Two thoughts come to mind, but I am also new.

1.) Does your mill controller have any sort of tool diameter offset value? I had a similar issue and it was the D word that the mill's tool database had that caused the problem.You could be asking camworks to compensate, and then also applying a compensation at the mill when it uses that D word.

2.) Is it cutting too much or too little? There is a field in the operation perameters (right click toolpath and select Edit Definition) that is called allowance. This can be found on the tab after "F/S" named "Roughing" on a roughing path or "Contour" on a contour path. This is the amount of material camworks plans on leaving on the part for a future operation to take away. If you want it exact, set it to 0.

Hope that helps.
    Charlie

Thanks ill take a look at it tomorrow, my mill controller is mach 3 and i can use a artcam tool path and its exact so im sure its something in camworks just not sure what it is yet, ill check that tho thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RNation0001 View Post
    hey guys, been playing with camworks here lately, ran into a problem. used solid works to make a simple part that had a few hole a few slots and a profile cut, went to cut it out using my home built cnc, and after the cut the holes were small and all the dimensions seems to be off slightly like some kind of offset has been done. but looking at the tool path parameters everything looks correct. i will try to get screenshots of everything but does anyone have any ideas for me to check?

i also took the part and imported to artcam and cut it out and it was perfect so its not the part.
    Also, when you simulate the toolpath in camworks, is it indicating there is extra material left? Click simulate and then hit the Green Cube looking icon to the right of the speed slider after the simulation is done. If the model isn't green and is instead blue it means you are leaving too much material, probably pointing to an allowance.