586,106 active members*
3,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Commercial Products / Manufacturers Support Forums > Automation Technology Products > KL-4030 and C10 Breakout Board with KL23H286-20-8B motors and LinuxCNC

KL-4030 and C10 Breakout Board with KL23H286-20-8B motors and LinuxCNC

Last May I ordered a CNC kit from you (3-Axis NEMA23 CNC Kit (36V/9.7A/425oz-in/KL-4030). I recently found time to begin assembling it. I followed the schematic for the C10 and KL-4030 (http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...030WithC10.pdf), making only a couple slight changes:

- I'm starting with a 2 axis setup and will add a third once I've got it working
    - For my test, I am not using limit switching, so there is nothing connected to input 13.
    - Also for testing, I don't have a master enable switch, instead I put a jumper between 5V and ENGAGED.
    - I have microstepping disabled (KL-4030 pins 1, 2 and 3 are set to on for microstepping of 1), though I've tried this with various microstep settings

The motor wiring for bipolar parallel was a bit confusing, but here's what I have:

Red/White and Blue/White => A+
    Red and Blue => A-
    Black/White and Grey/White => B+
    Black and Grey => B-

The COM jumper is set to common 5V
    The Pull Down/Up jumper is set to pins 1/2 (Pull Down) for output pins 2-9
    The Input/Output jumper is set to pins 1/2 (output) for pins 2-9

I am using a fresh install of LinuxCNC (EMC2), version 2.5.2

I went through the LinuxCNC configuration utility and set the pins to the appropriate input/outputs, along with the other standard info (200 steps/rev, microstep value, 18 teeth per geared pulley (MXL), 12.5 belt teeth per inch (0.08 pitch), etc.

Here's the results:
    - When powered up, the motors hold (sometimes get the ringing I've read about on your site with the oscillation)
    - When I use LinuxCNC to move my Y axis, the motor "jumps" or buzz quickly and stop, but it doesn't really go anywhere. Further attempts to move it don't do anything.
    - The other axis doesn't do anything, aside from sitting there with the motor holding its position

When initially connecting the C10 to a power source, I accidentally grabbed 11 volt power instead of 5 volt. I noticed a chip on the board got hot enough to burn my finger. I'm wondering if this may have killed the C10, or worse yet, could the higher signal voltage have affected the KL-4030s? Or do I just have something hooked up wrong here?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
    Steve

Issue Solved!

I ordered a KL-DB25 card to see if a new breakout card would make a difference. When I got everything hooked up and had the exact same problem. As I was working on setting up the new LinuxCNC config, I realized that there was an option to invert the signal on the outputs. After switching all the outputs to inverted, it worked PERFECTLY!

So... if you're setting up a C10 or DB25 breakout card and have trouble with LinuxCNC... try inverting the signal for your input or output.

I may go back and try my C10 eventually... its possible it wasn't fried as I suspected!