586,113 active members*
3,081 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

KL-5042 Questions

Newbie to Keling Drivers here.

1. I notice in his wiring diagram with the C10 breakout board he has the + as the common for step and directions. Is that normal?

2. Is it necessary to connect the enable terminals on the drivers? His wiring diagram does not show anything, but the one photo I found fo somebody's setup shows a wire on the + enable terminal from somewhere.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

While I do not have hands-on experience with that driver, I believe that others have stated that it is not necessary to hook up to the enable input.

As for the positive common from the C10, that is fine if you are connecting +5 volts to PUL+ and DIR+, while connecting the step and direction signals to PUL- and DIR- terminals (with that hookup, the C10 is "sinking" current in order to turn on the LEDs in the optoisolators within the driver).

There is an alternate hookup that has the BOB signals 'sourcing' current to the optoisolator PUL+ and DIR+ inputs, and with that hookup the common signal to the PUL- and DIR- inputs would come from the C10 jumpered with common connected to GND.

1/2 current switch? Is that a setting like the G540 where it drops current supplied while the drive is idling, and then goes to peak current when it starts getting signals again. or does it just give you have the selected current?
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

I think that you may be talking about SW4 (which does not seem to be referenced in the Keling doc). Yes, I think that the switch specifies how idle current reduction is handled - see below.

I also think that the KL-5042 is just a re-branded Chinese driver that goes by other model numbers with '542' in them.

So it's likely that the following manual applies to the KL-5042:

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attac...ing-driver.pdf

From that manual:

Standstill Current

SW4 is used for standstill current setting. OFF means the standstill current is set to be half of the selected dynamic
    current and ON means standstill current is set to be the same as the selected dynamic current.

The standstill current of MSD542-V2.0 will be automatically reduced to 60% of the selected dynamic current setting one
    second after the last pulse. Theoretically, this will reduce motor heating to 36% (due to P=I2 * R) of the original value. If
    the application needs a different standstill current, please contact Motion Control Products Ltd for more advice.

Keling drives are relabeled Leadshine drives. Google Leadshine and you can download Leadshine manuals that are more instructive than Kelings'. SW4 = On for 1/2 current at standstill per Leadshine's tech support. Their manual (Keling's, too) is ambiguous so I asked them about it.