586,110 active members*
3,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone using the AWC708C controller?

Anyone using the AWC708C controller? I have one but it is not usable.

Was hoping some other users could reassure me that it does work.

For the best description I can give of my issues see these youtube links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQqWAzdaPys&list=UUsFB4eSOPdjOhTpchQXO9nQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z97IQnxq7xU&list=UUsFB4eSOPdjOhTpchQXO9nQ

Re: Anyone using the AWC708C controller?

You really like buying the cutting edge hardware/software. Did you buy this from Marco? Or off eBay? I hate to say it but I would wait for a fix to those problems. It took the 608 years to get ok and that still has stupid issues and problems.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Pplug View Post
    I hate to say it but I would wait for a fix to those problems. It took the 608 years to get ok and that still has stupid issues and problems.
    I hear you. However having seen the 708 it looks to be a considerable improvement on the 608. Apart from my obvious problem that is.

No doubt every unit coming from the factory does not have this problem. This one I have is totally unusable. They can't all be like mine surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    No doubt every unit coming from the factory does not have this problem. This one I have is totally unusable. They can't all be like mine surely.
    Now I am not so sure this assumption was correct.

After a frustrating week struggling with my lack of Mandarin language skills I seem to have got it fixed.

I first pointed the engineer to my youtube video as the best way to communicate my problem. A video being worth a thousand words.

After assuring me he had seen the video, he then made a series of recommendations that had me seriously thinking I was communicating with the tea lady.

Then after a week I convinced him he should look at the video. He did so and almost within a few hours sent me a new firmware to fix the issue. Ha ha !!

Any way I am very pleased that the controller is now usable. I am optimistic that the 708 is a big improvement on the older 608.

Much more testing to come to see what bugs and short comings in the 608 have been eliminated on the 708.

Please keep us up to date as you do further testing.

What Problem are you having? I literally just bought one last night instead of the 608

Quote Originally Posted by prcdslnc13 View Post
    What Problem are you having? I literally just bought one last night instead of the 608
    For the primary issue see the video links in the first post. Together with the text on youtube is the best I can describe it.

Because it was the new firmware that fixed it, I think this must have been problem with all the units. Logic says so but there is no way of telling for sure.

Chinese products do not come with that level of communication in my experience. Perhaps that is just a language thing.

The AWC708 is a step forward from the 608 but what little issues have been eliminated and what are still there, will become clearer as I get more time with it.

The one I am having so far is a flakeyness with the communication with computer. Have to swap from ethernet to USB or back again to re establish link for no apparent reason.

Need more time with this to figure out what is really going on.

PS: I will add that I think you made the right decision going with the 708. The 608 will be phased out no doubt.

your youtube links say the videos are removed. Thats why I asked, but I appreciate the feedback. Im looking forward to getting it.

Oh I am sorry. Forgot that I had removed them.

The issue was that the motion control was screwed up.

When both X and Y axis was moving then motion was at the correct set speed.

When only X or Y axis moved (vertical or horizontal movement) then the speed was crazy fast.

This happened with all movement, cutting, engraving, jogging and even homing.

The reason I removed the videos was that they were only to demonstrate the issue to the supplier, who could not get past that I must have wired it in wrong and getting noise problems.

Did not want them left there once the issue was fixed, giving a bad reputation to the controller.

Had a couple of days using the 708 in production now. Very nice to use.

One thing that is no better and maybe even worse than the 608, is when jogging via the keypad, a series of very quick taps will result in very different amounts of movement.

Series of quick taps sort of goes like 2mm, 2mm, 15mm 1mm, 10mm, etc. This result is constantly over shooting back and forth, when trying to slightly adjust the origin.

The keypad inching facility is slightly easier to access.

From memory the 608 required about 9 button presses to drill down through the menus before reaching inching.

The 708 takes about 4 button presses to reach it.

I am having a computer coms issue that is a bit frustrating. Hard to tell what is the root cause though. Maybe not the 708.

Using Ethernet connection, all will be going sweetly then for no reason coms fail. Restarting LaserCad and 708 makes no difference. Have to switch to USB connection until next time computer and laser is started.