586,105 active members*
3,289 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Alarm 130 - "Tool Unclamped"

Alarm 130 - "Tool Unclamped"

Hi guys. Machine is an '07 VF-2ss. Main regulator is at 82psi and drops to 80 during tool changes. The small regulator directly behind the main is set at 20psi and drops to 18 during tool changes. Draw bar tension was just checked by my HFO at 1,080psi. Clean dry air. Shop is heated and cooled to between 65 and 75 degrees 24/7.

We've been getting alarm 130 - Tool Unclamped after tool changes, but randomly. Some days it won't alarm at all, other days it can alarm as often as 3 times during a 3:14 cycle with 7 tool changes. It does it at 100% and 50% rapids.

Here's the thing: When it alarms, the tool is absolutely clamped correctly, every time. All we've been doing is resetting and restarting the program with no attention to the tool in the spindle and it runs just fine.

What should I be looking at? Could this just be a very slightly slow moving switch that needs to be cleaned?

Re: Alarm 130 - "Tool Unclamped"

The little brass filters that are on the air solenoids for the tool changer are probably clogged and need cleaning. It is allowing the air to drain out too slowly so the switch is not closed in time to prevent the alarm. Then you clear it okay because it is now hitting the switch.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Thanks Mike. We'll clean those filters tonight and give it a few days to see if it worked.

While you have the cover off check it out to verify that is it. Watch the shaft that contacts the two switches. When you push the tool release the shaft goes down and when you release it the shaft will go up, but will slow down at the top and not quite move the switch far enough to signal the clamp and it will drift up slowly as the alarm comes on. It will generally complete the movement just after the alarm comes on.

In a rare circumstance, you may have switch wear etc. and may need to very slightly adjust the switch location. But, generally a good cleaning of the filters( actually they are the little sintered bronze mufflers that reduce the noise of the air escaping) will work as long as the relays are working smoothly.

If you haven't seen them before they look similar to the picture below. Solvents work to get them cleaned up or inexpensive to replace.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filter.jpg  
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

We already had the mufflers out, cleaned and everything buttoned back up before your last post. The next couple days will tell if cleaning those little guys did the trick or not (If the storm we have coming in doesn't knock the power out, that is).

The shaft you're talking about is the one you can see from the front between the spindle and the motor, correct? If not, I'm not sure where I should look. I haven't noticed switches in that area and I'm sure there's nothing on top of the motor.

Yeah, it be like this!

Well, cleaning the solenoid filters / mufflers did absolutely nothing. My machine also looks nothing like Mike's picture above. To be clear, this is a 2007 VF-2ss (direct drive). This machine has proxy switches for clamped / unclamped, which are both clean and functioning.

I took a video of the issue, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEmn...ature=youtu.be

You can see on the third push of the tool release button that it's very slow to return to the clamped position. Obviously the problem, but what is causing it? Solenoid(s)? If yes, which one(s)?

Also, the whole mechanism seems awfully loose. Does that look ok?

The tool release piston could be sticking. I have in the past, fixed this by pouring about 10cc of WC40 in the air line going to the piston. (The two clear lines, one small and one large, in the back of the machine, after the regulator). You will have to disconnect the main air supply to allow you to uncouple the tubes from the connectors. They are a push lock connectors.

Do it about 3 or 4 times. And cycle the tool release dozens of times to push the fluid thru to the piston after each 10cc's.

Then use 10cc of Marvel mystery oil. Again about 3 or 4 times...worth a try.

This also helps with a sticking high / low gear change piston. But you don't have transmission.

Or it could be broken belleville springs in the drawbar assembly. Let's hope not.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you! We'll give that a try.

Yeah, it looks like a valve sticking. The problem with WD-40 is that when it dries it gets sticky. I would use air tool oil for the job.

Mike

If air tool oil would work as well, then I might as well skip that step and go right to tearing things apart. I put a quick disconnect directly after the main regulator and put a few drops of air tool oil in the system every couple weeks or so. Originally I was thinking that may have caused the problem, but if it's suggested as a fix, that probably isn't it.

So, can anyone tell me if the three solenoids behind the spindle are rebuildable, or should I just replace them to be safe?

Matt@RFR

I have had to replace the Proximity switch, with this same problem, it was the top one, but your problem may be different to what I had, if you have been putting oil in the air system that to could be causing a problem

For rebuilding the solenoid valves, if they are not worn in the body, they are easy to clean & rebuild
    Mactec54