586,119 active members*
3,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Really confused

Hello Everyone last winter I built my own cnc router 5 foot wide 6 foot wide so I would have a cut area of 4 by 4 but the problem I am having is every time I draw up a file in art cam express and it has words in it I have to flip my words for them to come out right when the file is running. And second is I have this motor kit http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...s-4-axis-kit-1 and I have the boards at 5 amps if I cut the amps down will my motors run cooler when I run a three hour file the motors are really hot I mean hold on for three secs and that's it any input will help

thanks pc101

Re: Really confused

5A is not suitable for that motors.
    Usually 3.5A will sufficient .
    Set to 3.5A , If there is a lost step then you may decrease your cutting speed

Thanks mcv I will try to get to my machine today to switch that and most of the time I only cut at 45 ipm I am new to cnc so I don't really know how fast I can run. when I built the machine I had a acme screw on my x axis but this fall I moved that to chain drive and I put on a heavier I beam but the max I have the machine to move is 100 ipm

If your lettering is coming out backwards, that means one of your motors is running in reverse. Switch the direction bit for that axis and that should fix the problem.

Steppers often run rather hot. It's not a problem if everything else works okay. Cutting the amperage too much will reduce their torque. If you're cutting wood, you want to keep the feedrates rather high - 100 ipm is at the bottom of the range, unless you're using really small tools.
    Andrew Werby
    Website