586,108 active members*
3,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Solid-State limit switch experiment
Page 3 of 3 123
    Either of Swede's optical or Hall effect can be done for about $10 -$20 or so for all 3 axis. (unless you are like me and when you order something you gotta order 10 extra. )

Add another $5-10 to make it pretty with nice connectors. And extra $4 for Blue LEDs to get the cool blue glow under your machine.

You'd probably want to put the NPN Photo Transistor in a tube or heatshrink to reduce ambient light.

If you are a coolant user... You can pot everything in a couple of tubes with Clear Epoxy.
    Nathan

Hey Nathan I really like leds. I guess my 9'X12' router woud look pretty good with a pale blue glow coming out from underneath the table. I am going to have to try the sensors though and I will very likely take Swede up on the offer to help, he just don't know that I am only about 4 -5 hrs from him and I will just show up on his door step .
    Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Swede View Post
    I'll run some experiments with a tenths dial indicator, a heat gun (to heat up the hall system) and a good thermocouple, and I'll share what I find.
    I realize that this thread is really old, but I'm curious about the results of this experiment.

Regards,
    Frank

Swede hasn't posted since 10/2007 so I don't think you'll hear from him. Too bad, this was an interesting thread. I am using HE sensors on my diy router and wanted to see the outcome...

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Farm View Post
    I realize that this thread is really old, but I'm curious about the results of this experiment.

Regards,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post
    Swede hasn't posted since 10/2007 so I don't think you'll hear from him. Too bad, this was an interesting thread. I am using HE sensors on my diy router and wanted to see the outcome...
    LaserImage,

From what I recall from another thread, you're using them as both Limit and Home switches, how have they been working for you? What methods have you used to verify they're homing accuracy?

Thanks!
    Frank

Page 3 of 3 123