586,076 active members*
3,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Good trip to the metal recyclers

Good trip to the metal recyclers

I'm getting my aluminum scrap at $1 a pound. Not sure how many of you do this too. Just wanted to throw this out there for those of you who haven't done so. I bought two of the thick plates that you see in the second picture for $35 each and some .5"x6" this time.

Attachment 260338Attachment 260340

Re: Good trip to the metal recyclers

I would love to find a place like that. Where I live it seems that scrap places need some licence to sell to the public and don't bother, so won't sell...
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Potatohead908,

Please tell us where is the scrap yard located.

Awesome find!

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I used to do that all of time when I lived in central Houston. Amazing the stuff you find, complete SS freestanding sinks and tables from the restaurant industries, scrap from machine shops, wire that had never been pulled off the spool (most likely stolen as are ac parts). It was on my way back home from taking the kids to school ;-) It got frequented often.
    A lazy man does it twice.

I'm in Idaho and went to Pacific Steel and Recycling. They are only around the Northwest but any big town should have a few of the same type of recyclers. We have 3 Pacific Steel and Recycling locations just around Boise. I will say the going price here is $1.50 but they have sold it to me at $1 per pound each time I go in.

What I really want to do is find who is getting rid of these scraps and check out their shops. I want to know what that round slot is for in the large rounds. Plus I'm new to any type of machining and find it totally fascinating!! Micro 100 is based out of here, they make carbide tooling. I have talked to their regional sales guy who is going to ask a few of the shops if they wouldn't mind a visitor plus I'm going to get a tour of their facilities.

I go to the one on emerald once a month or so. Since they are not open weekend I have to go at lunch. I've had some good scores but Nothing like what you hit.