586,033 active members*
3,375 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Weird Clicking Noise..Need Help, possible SSR???

Weird Clicking Noise..Need Help, possible SSR???

Hey all, so below is a link to a video. First of all, no I am not caressing/molesting my CNC computer. There is a clicking noise that pops up pretty frequently that I have not been able to track down. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does anyone have an idea what this could be and how to fix it?

P.S. Random question, has anyone tried to perform a G28.1 x0? My machine table moved to the left for 10in then moved the table to the right and homes. However when G28.1 y0 or z0 is homes the correct direction first.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Thanks,
    Whizbang

Re: Weird Clicking Noise..Need Help, possible SSR???

There is something wrong with the video.
    I can't get it to play.
    Lee

The videos wont play for me either. But I can tell you a Solid State Relay should not be making any noise. Its has no moving parts.

Right. SSR's don't make noise. Nor do SSD's.

On the second part of the question, check the version of Mach 3 that you are using. I found one version that would not even Home correctly and another that would not operate the spindle. The version that does work correctly for me is 3.043.066.
    Lee

Let me know if the video is more viewable this way. Stupid phone records with an MP4 format and I am struggling to upload just about everywhere.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr5gmm7wiu...41099.mp4?dl=0

Thanks,
    Whizbang

Definitely a relay. Probably the one's on the board, little square blue ones.
    Intermittent power On/Off, or bad ground. Could also be the pin settings in Mach3 setup.

Sounds to me like something hitting the fan....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Sounds to me like something hitting the fan....

Regards,
    Ray L.
    +1,
    Look for zip ties/something hitting the fan.

Yup, after listening to it again, could be the fan.

If there is a foul smell as well, there could definitely be something hitting the fan.
    Lee

So first of all, I have confirmed that the clicking noise is not from a fan. I saw some relays inside the case that could be the culprit, I will look at them with my infrared camera and see if i can determine if one is bad, I will also clean out all the dust in the computer. I have noticed that the spot light on my machine sometimes comes on when the clicking does. It also comes on when the coolant is turned on, but i cannot turn it on manually with the intended switch.

Secondly, I have a great ability to find things that are wrong, broke or need to be fixed. One thing is head flex. Have any of you found this problem? I can flex the head roughly .003" to .005" by pressing the top of the head back in the y direction. I have tightened the head bolts down as tight as I comfortably can without breaking the bolts and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is this on par for most machines? I am considering injecting moglice to fill the void and prevent the flexing.

Lastly, If I type G28.1 X0 to only home in the X direction to my end stop, the table moves to the left then moves to the right until it is triggered by the endstop. So I downloaded HAAS screen set for Mach 3 and he has independent X, Y and Z home buttons, when I hit the button it homes the proper direction the first time right away. I have tried to edit the code but I cannot see the GCode that button is executing. Does anyone have any ideas? Most of the time I feel it is only necessary to home in the Z direction because the X and Y home is irrelevant when you have those axis zeroed on the part. I ma looking for the GCode to home the Z in the direction towards its endstop. Would this be G28.1 Z0? I have tried this specific code and get the same results where it moves down then back up to the endstop. I have tried different versions of Mach and do in fact get different results.

Which machine do you have? I have not noticed any head flex on wither the Torus or the Pulsar. They are nice and tight. The machines themselves are pretty well designed from a structural point.

Also what version of Mach 3 are you using?
    I found a couple versions that would not work things correctly.
    My screens have a button to reference a single axis or reference all button.
    Lee

I have the older Novakon NM-200. It appears my deflection is occurring at the base. I again tried to tighten those bolts but I wasn't able to do much. The deflection varies with the same applied force depending on where the head is located on the Z axis. When the head is all the way down I only get about .002" to .003" deflection. When the head is at the top I see about .005" to .007" deflection front to back. After discovering this I started to push side to and am see about .004" deflection there.

I started with an older version of Mach, then updated to the newest. I am not able to get the exactly version numbers at the moment.

I was mistaken about the standard Mach 3 having each axis have it's own reference button. It does have ref all on the main screen. My plasma cutter is the one that has the buttons out beside the dro to home only one axis. I made that screen.
    The diagnostics screen in the standard Mach 3 screen has these buttons on the top left of the screen. No need to type in on MDI.

That is quite a bit of flex. It sounds more like the column isn't sitting flat. The NM 200 is what the Torus Pro replaced, right? I cannot imagine a column that size having that kind of flex. I don't think I was getting that much out of my X2.
    Lee

You need to figure out where the deflection is coming from. Is the column actually moving, or flexing? Or is it slop in the ways, due to poor gib adjustment, or worn linear rails?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Below is a link to a video showing the deflection. I cannot get feeler gauges in between anything, I am at a loss with determining where it is coming from. I have tightened all the bolts to the point I think the heads might snap. It could be the linear rails but seems like the column at the base night be moving. Not sure.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/te7gom63wg...54666.AVI?dl=0