4,806 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Haas UMC-750 post processor
Page 1 of 2 12

Haas UMC-750 post processor

Is there one for madCAM please?

Re: Haas UMC-750 post processor

There are two Haas posts in the installation, and if they don't match your machine it's not that difficult to make one. I know several people running Haas machines and I don't think your machine would be different. Isn't Haas very close to standard ISO G-code? I guess you could even run your machine with the LinuxCNC post processor.

The UMC-750 is Haas's new 5-axis machine, correct?

Sven is correct that Haas is pretty standard G-code. We have a Haas here, but it's not 5-axis. If you can post a small program showing the format for the rotations, the beginning and the end of the code, I can create a post for you. I've done numerous 5-axis posts, but they are all for Heidenhain controllers.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It is 5-axis so it's where is all confusion for me. I like Rhinoceros and willing to learn and buy license for its add-on madCAM if its post processor will output correct code.
    I have demo sample code from my supplier for UMC-750 if it would be any help. I will send it to anyone who's willing to help me.

How about simulation and verification of g-codes before I put the code into the machine? How would you suggest to perform it properly from yours point of view?

Thank you!

Will you be running simultaneous 5-axis or 3+2 axis, or both?

Does your controller support RTCP (rotation tool center point)?

Chances are you will need a separate post for each. Can you post that sample code?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It has Tool Center Point Control. I am planing to operate machine in 5-axis simultaneous. The demo code is pretty lengthy (7321 lines). How better should I post it?

Send it to me privately at [email protected]

As far as a machine model for madCAM goes, see if you can get a CAD file from the manufacturer. That's what I did with our Hermle machines. You may need to sign a non-disclosure agreement. As long as they understand that it is for a CAM model, they will probably have something you can use.

Thanks Dan! Sending sample demo code right now... I think I've seen somewhere parasolid model for UMC-750 that can be used for simulation.

Quote Originally Posted by andruxa_b View Post
    Thanks Dan! Sending sample demo code right now... I think I've seen somewhere parasolid model for UMC-750 that can be used for simulation.
    There is a simulator in MadCAM that verifies the tool paths. For the generated G-code, I suggest you should e-mail JOM about it. He has some wicked ideas about simulation.

/S

I've seen a preview of what Joakim is working on. Pretty slick.

Thank you guys for the input!
    I am in touch with Joakim. He is very helpful, and I look forward to test all madCAM capabilities in relation to this particular machine.
    Hope madCAM proofs to be sufficient so I could stick with this software.

I will work on that post for you as well. I will need to study the manual first to understand the Haas slant on 5-axis. It won't happen right away unfortunately, so if Joakim has a post, by all means take it. We can add to it later if need be.

Thank you, Dan! I understand that it is not an easy task and I appreciate your help! Look forward to see your work as well.

Okay, I've got a working post (although I have no way of testing it). I need to add some safety moves to make sure the tool doesn't collide between tool changes. Does your machine have a separate coordinate system? For example, our Hermles have M91 (tool change coordinate system) and M92 (machine coordinate system). I might have those backwards, but that's the general idea. Using one of those "hard coded" coordinate systems it's possible to move the tool to a safe corner regardless of the part coordinate system.

Also, can you give me the values that you ascertain to be safe (probably a far corner)? I generally use the far left in the machine coordinate system in the X, the closest front corner in the Y, and as high as I can go in the Z.

Thanks,

Dan

That's a great news, Dan! I am not sure about coordinate system as yet, I have to check with my mate on site, might be he knows.
    I found webinar on YouTube where people discuss UMC-750 post processing in another software delving at the end in some specific g-code issues you might be interested to hear
    The time is 42:13 where they start to collaborate on that

Programming the Haas UMC 750 with Autodesk HSMWorks - YouTube

https://github.com/AutodeskCAM/Mill-...%20umc-750.cps presume this is post processor they talking about which is in JavaScript, but might hold some answers on general issues.

I also have custom re-worked UMC-750 post for MasterCam modified from Haas VF - TR Series post processor. Let me know if you would like to see that one.

Regards,
    Andruxa

The beauty of madCAM's post-processor is that you don't need to know a programming language to write a good one. I took a look at the one posted on github, Wow!! I guess I'm too used to madCAM and WorkNC's simplistic, yet effective, post-processor methods.

Let me know if you sort out the coordinate system issue. I need a safe place to put the tool before and after the path so that there is no chance of collision. Like I mentioned, having that location relative to the machine, and not the part, is the best way to go.

Dan

May be a "zero return position" is a safe place you are talking about? I've read an article about how tool goes there by two commands G28 (like G91 G28 Z0) or G53 (new one)
    G28 Versus G53 : Modern Machine Shop

G53 looks like what I need. I'll have a post for you shortly for a first try-out.

Check your e-mail. I sent you some code to test. Be very careful!!!

Here is what the motion looks like on a Hermle C30:

2014-12-18_1206 - DanBayn's library

How did you make out with this post? Did it work well?

Page 1 of 2 12