586,224 active members*
3,171 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > Camworks - help with avoid/contain areas and a contour cut

Camworks - help with avoid/contain areas and a contour cut

What I'm trying to do is a contour cut on a guitar neck, but without cutting the headstock off as it was shaped in another process.

So think of it as a contour around a four sided box but I only want to cut three sides, like a U shape, avoiding the headstock.

Problem I'm facing is the contour command needs a closed profile, unless there is something I'm missing? I've tried setting the three sides as a contain but it doesn't like not having a closed path.

I tried a constant step over 3 axis move but cannot get that to work either.

I've redrawn the neck as a simple block, a 2d sketch and extruded straight up with no detail, as I couldn't figure out how to do the contour on the 3D shaped model to start with as it's a collection of extrusions, not one extrusion.

How would you approach this?

Thankyou

Re: Camworks - help with avoid/contain areas and a contour cut

Not totally sure if this applies so a couple of possible solutions:

Since you need to do it in 3D, what I've done in the past is add an extrusion to the part I don't want to cut. Then program from there using sketches for contains if needed. I usually make it a different configuration.

If 2D make sketches for your tool paths.

Wouldn't that result in a hell of a lot of air cutting?

Surely there's a way it can be programmed to cut in a U shape for a contour as opposed to a O shape?

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Not totally sure if this applies so a couple of possible solutions:

Since you need to do it in 3D, what I've done in the past is add an extrusion to the part I don't want to cut. Then program from there using sketches for contains if needed. I usually make it a different configuration.

If 2D make sketches for your tool paths.

I must be missing something. I don't usually do a lot of air cutting. Can you post a picture?
    After re-reading your first post, could flowline 3D help? I've been doing more and more flowline pattern cutting and find it to make better finishes around the edges.

Add an avoid area,

This will try and force the tool path around it, then in the contour mill you could use the options to control how that avoid is treated, round, over and rapid over I think are the options,

Or use a different feature, there is a feature for just machining selected contours called open profile,

Thanks guys for the replies.

I've managed to get the Open Profile to at least select the areas I need to cut whilst working within the "U" shape I needed, I just need to fine tune it now to get the details working for me, so thank you very much for pointing in that direction.

Not sure what a flowline 3D is, sounds like something I should learn about.

Cheers