586,103 active members*
3,359 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Replacing a burned breakout board, pinout question

Replacing a burned breakout board, pinout question

Hello,

I am replacing a burned breakout board with a new one but I have two main problems:
    1. knowledge insufficiency
    2. no documentation!

Chinese seller sent what he calls "manul", but in that there is a little information about a different breakout board than what is inside the machine control box!

As you see on the photo of burned board, a double-row 20P cable connects the main motor controller (which has 3 motors connected to for A+ A- B+ B-) to the breakout. Beside table there is a pinout printed:
    BS, BD
    NC, RL
    XD, YS
    XS, YD
    XE, YE
    AD, ZS
    AS, ZD
    12, 12
    GD, GD
    VC, VC

Questions please:
    1. On the burned board there is nothing written around the motor wires socket at the side of the board, but I guess that those wires are XE, XD, YE, YD, ZE, ZD, how could I be sure please?

2. As first step I only want to put X axis to work. On my new breakout board, I have XE, XD, XS, XN pins and X-Limit with 2 pins totally 5 pins. On the old board I have 2 pins connected directly to the motor, and 3 ones (XS, XD, XE) connected by the 20P cable, also 5 in total, but how should I connect them correctly and what I have to measure / know?

Please guide me.

Re: Replacing a burned breakout board, pinout question

Hi

the failed component looks like a switch mode regulator IC , possibly a LM2576 ( the other component marked in the 2nd photo is a choke)
    Attachment 261114

I expect the switch mode regulator reduces the 24/28V motor supply down to +12V

the +12v the supplies a 7805 regulator that supplies 5V to the IC's on the breakout board and the
    12v switch mode regulator also control side of the spindle control board

a photo of the spindle control board and the stepper driver(s) will help

John

John thanks for the post,

The spindle is 1.5KW with a VFD. I found out that no signaling happens between the spindle control boxand breakout boards. I found also a post on CNCZone mentioning of it (the writer has the same machine as mine, and the motor driver photo at post #20 is just as mine):
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/chines...oftware-2.html

The photo of the back side of the machine is attached (the spindle VFD is in a different place at the top, and no wires other than the + and - of the bower block goes to it), together with the photo of the motor controller.

Currently, I am not going to fix the burned board but totally replace it.

If it is possible, please tell me if I am right in these 2 claims (or how can I make sure by some measurement):
    - to replace the breakout board I must and test only for X axis for now:
    1. I must connect XS, XE, XD, and GND of the cable coming from motor controller to my new board
    2. The 2-wire socket connector at the side of the burned motor controller that has each pair connected to a motor cable is limit-x, limit-y and limit-z.
    3. the 20P cable is bringing 24v to the board and taking dc-dc converted 12v to the motor controller (as there exists a VC on the cable that I measured ~24 and also a 12v exists beside it)
    4. taking 3rd point true, I must supply a 12v to the motor controller board.

In summary:
    1. I must connect XS,XE,XD, GND from the new breakout board to the controller board via 20P cable
    2. Supply a 12v. to the controller board via 20P cable
    3. connect those pair wires of the side of the motor controller which come from motors, to the limit-pairs of the new controller (pinout is not written on the burned board and I don't know how to check by measurement).

Am I write in this recipe, or how could I make sure for it please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails motor-controller--driver.png  

Hi

it looks like your control is a variation of this -

New 3 Axis CNC Stepper Motor Driver TB6560 Set + LCD Display + Handle Controller | eBay

Attachment 261130

check the regulator used on the stepper driver board
    I expect its a 7805 it requires a minimum of 8V and a maximum of 35V ( if the heatsink is large enough ) a small 12V PSU will be OK

Attachment 261132

what I can't find is the stepper driver chip used if its TB6560 the loss of the 5V supply may of resulted in the destruction of 1 or more drivers

the 20 way ribbon pin out

BS, BD
    NC, RL
    XD, YS
    XS, YD
    XE, YE
    AD, ZS
    AS, ZD
    12, 12
    GD, GD
    VC, VC

has 15 wires to connect the signals for 5 axis to the driver board -

2 ground GD , 5 step signals XS , YS , ZS , AS , BS and 5 direction signals XD , YD , ZD , AD , BS and 2 enable signals XE & YE

note - the enable input is negative logic and the axis driver is enabled when the enable input is open circuit or connected to ground !

you may find the XE & YE terminals on the driver PCB board are connected to the Z , A & B axis drivers

the only other signal switches the relay on and off

you just connect the axis outputs on the new breakout board to the matching terminals on the stepper driver ( XS to XS , XD to XD etc )

you can power the breakout board from a small 5V power supply or a USB port

note - the new breakout board doesn't have any opto-isolators to stop possible fault currents from damaging the PC's printer port !!!

it looks like the PC can't control the spindle speed the spindle drive

John

John-100,
    Thanks really for detail instructions.

I successfully replaced the new driver.

I will go for a new breakout board with opto-isolators to secure the printer ports from possible damages.

Also, you are absolutely correct: the VFD box that has the control of the 1.5KW spindle on this machine has no connection with the breakout board and I don't know how to manage it. Again, no documentation given for the VFD / spindle, so I must find time and conditions to try to find out the VFD brand and hopefully find guides on google or by the help of this forum.

Thank you again.

Hi Kievari

good to see you have it working

glad I could help

at a later date you can add an adaptor to enable the PC to control the spindle speed

after a quick web search I've found the CNC4PC C69 PWM speed control board and instructions:-

CNC4PC

Attachment 261244

http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C69R2%201_TB6560.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C69R2 1_TB6560.pdf 
Views:	2 
Size:	535.8 KB 
ID:	261246

following the link in this thread for the manual to the spindle VFD like yours :-

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/chines...-software.html

Name:	HY-TB5 CNC Series Manual.pdf 
Views:	0 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	261248

you can use an adaptor like the C69 to produce a 0 to 10V control voltage for the spindle VFD ( see PDF page 23)

Attachment 261242

John

John-100
    Thank you for pointing me to improvements. You mean that even though there is a VFD, I can obtain the type of controller you pointed to and put the PC in interactions with the VFD that has the spindle controller?

Currently, I use the buttons on a control panel + LCD right on the body of the machine to alter the speed of the spindle. A post of CNCZone here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/chines...oftware-2.html
    says that the VFD is what called NOWFOREVER D100 VFD (if I got it right).

Hi Kievari

if your machine is like the HY-3040 Column Engraver in other post

you just need a board like the C69 to convert a PWM signal from your PC to a 0 to 10V control for your VFD spindle drive assuming its a NOWFOREVER D100 VFD or equivalent

have you had a look at your VFD drive to see if its like the NOWFOREVER D100 VFD - may be a re-badged version
    if not you may be able to find the manual on line

an alternative adaptor could be a C41 that you connect to 1 axis output from your Breakout board

Name:	C41R2_USER_MANUAL.pdf 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	261254

John

HI John-100

Thank you really, I'd sure study the condition and do as you suggested as it really makes the job easier: being able to control spindle from the PC!

Thanks again :-)