586,089 active members*
3,915 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Converted CNC Bench top Lathe Motor Wiring Issue - Brazil 220V to US 220V

Converted CNC Bench top Lathe Motor Wiring Issue - Brazil 220V to US 220V

Hello everyone. I have a lathe from brazil that uses 220V at 60HZ and am trying to rewire it for use in the US market. Brazil uses 220V on a single line and not 110V x2 like in the US.

The motor has no real markings to identify it other than a plate with the specs and a script like logo with letters that overlap that is hard to determine what it is (see image).

Attachment 261258

The motor has 6 poles: u1, u2, v1, v2, z1w1, z2w2. The current configuration indicated that the rotary switch powers U1 for forward and U2 for reverse. z2w2 is connected to neutral and z1w1 is connected to a positive. (see image)

Attachment 261260

One capacitor is connected to v1 and the other capacitor is connected to v2. The other leg of both are connected to z1w1

There is continuity between u1 and u2; v1 and v2; z1w1 and z2w2

Can anyone help identify this motor in so that I may get a diagram for it or possibly shed light on how to get it to run on US 220v or even 110v would be fine.

Larger versions of the pictures are at Untitled Document

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Re: Converted CNC Bench top Lathe Motor Wiring Issue - Brazil 220V to US 220V

There is no difference in use between countries that use single phase centre tap supply and those that use a single phase and a neutral of a 3 ph supply such as is done in Europe and elsewhere.
    If you have the connections for Brazil, it will be the same for N.A. 240v.
    Connection Diagrams - U.S. MOTORS
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

That sounds right to me - I did try and no go but it may be the switch. It has a KDEU JD3 switch (similar to the JD12 but must be OEM version for SIEG). It is a relay style safety switch but it didn't appear to "trigger" when hooked up. I will bypass that and see if I can power up as there may be something that needs changed in the switch wiring.

The people at SIEG were super concerned that it wouldn't work in the US market and it may be because of the switch - who knows. I was sent the wrong one by accident and as opposed to going through shipping it back I decided to use it.

Thanks for the reply and the link - that is SUPER useful. I will do some testing and report back if I get it running.

Thanks again Al!!!

I got it running. I suspected US 220V would work but when it didn't I thought I was wrong. Your post motivated me to recheck everything and sure enough I found a safety switch catch that got slightly bent in shipping. Bent it straight, wired it up and it was good to go. Only thing that needed changed was the plug for the mill head attachment that needed the second pole brought to a neutral to bring it back to 110V.

Glad to help.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Glad you got it going!

Now, where's the pics of the rest of the lathe conversion. Far as I'm concerned, there are never too many CNC lathe pics.

D,

Since you asked I will post a few pics here in a couple of days; let me get it all back together.

I will say that I got to cheat a bit on the conversion as I work for a small manufacturer of CNC machines and we happen to be direct with SIEG (thats how I got a Brazil machine - as opposed to shipping it back out of the country I bought it from my company for cost). It is funny though because the lathe is blue and the mill head is red.

Cheers.

Lucky you with the direct connection!

So this is a 3-in-1 machine? Are all 5 axes CNC?

Milton

Milton,

It is a mill-lathe combo. I have control of the spindle, Z and X on the lathe and when in mill mode X, Y, Z and spindle on/off (in the Mach I use the lathes long axis as Z and the cross as X - in mill mode use the lathes long axis as X, the short as Y and the spindle height as Z). Hopefully I have it all put together this week since I have a couple extra days off for X-mas and I will post some pics.

My next project will be my U1 - it is a vertical / horizontal knee style mill. Very cool machine.

Cheers,

Gio