586,051 active members*
3,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > How can i cut once the 4mm slots withe 4mm Endmill cutting tool

How can i cut once the 4mm slots withe 4mm Endmill cutting tool

I have a problem. When i use the roughing cucle with 4mm Endmill cutting tool and 75% stepover, the tool cuts 2 times each slot with 4mm width. I don't want to use Profiling because the part has areas with >4mm width. See the attach photo.

How can i cut it once?

With Best regards

Attachment 262218

Re: How can i cut once the 4mm slots withe 4mm Endmill cutting tool

It's not really good practice to use the same size bit as the slot you want to cut, it will never end up being the size you want but bigger. You need to use a smaller width cutter, say a 3mm and put up with the fact it will need to do more than one pass.

Dear 2e0poz many thanks for your reply.

I know the practice, but I want to cut all the pocket with the same tool (4mm). But my question is how to cut a slot with width 4mm with endmill 4mm diameter at once time and not two...

I want to minimize the cutting time (tool change from 3mm to 4mm, i don't care the width accuracy)

The reason it is doing this is because you are using the same size tool as the slot this is happening. reduce the tool and try again and you will see what i mean..

The Roughing cycle is intended to remove material from all walls. Since "slot geometry" has 2 walls, expect the Roughing cycle to construct passes for each wall. As others have noted, the intent with the Roughing cycle is to use a smaller tool to completely clear the region.

The Slot cycle will produce the single pass toolpath that you wanted for this part, driving down the center drive line of any features with slot regions. The Slot cycle can also be targeted against wireframe sketch geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by Filippos View Post
    I don't want to use Profiling because the part has areas with >4mm width.
    Profiling is exactly what you want to use.........just only for the 4mm slot area's.....then rough the bigger area's.....same cutter two cyles.

Use some containment lines to minimize the amount roughing needed and geometry lines to only profile where needed(4mm areas)...............draw these lines and boundries in a new layer and use them when you selecting your boundaries in your cycle parameters.