586,455 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Alphacam > Alphacam nesting, turn off numbers?

Alphacam nesting, turn off numbers?

Is it possible to turn off the part numbers Alphacam inserts in nested parts?

Thanks!

Ron Thompson

Re: Alphacam nesting, turn off numbers?

Hi Ron,

Yes it is . They are placed on the Text layer indicated in the picture below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-12-28_0752.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	262304

Thanks! It never occurred to me they might be on a separate layer. I'll check it out when I go back to work.

OK, that does work, but has issues. If I turn off all the group of text, the sheet numbers go away, too. If I expand it, the sheet numbers are interspersed with the part numbers, making it time consuming to ferret them out. No quicker than just deleting them. I was hoping for a way to prevent it from numbering them in the first place, like an option you can uncheck.
    Thanks for your time.

It sounds likea fair point. If you are supported you should contact Alphacam and put in an enhancement request for either an option to stop the automated numbering or for the sheet numbers to be put on a different layer, maybe a user layer so they can be turned off seperately.

I'm not sure of your process or what you are trying to achieve but there is an add-in called 'split nested sheets' that automaticaly saves out all the nested sheets in the drawing in to seperate drawings and numbers them. This way you could have the text turned off and still have record of the sheet numbers in the file name. Would this solve your problem? It would certainly be very quick.

Attachment 262438

Attachment 262440

Attachment 262442

There is also an add-in called 'split nested programs' for saving out all the nc code into seperate files and naming them.

Thanks, that's a good point about support. Our company certainly paid enough for Alphacam.
    I use two posts, and the one for our older Komo router uses the split add in to save the nests as individual programs.
    Our new Stratos is capable of loading multi-sheet nests.
    Here is a screen capture of a single sheet from a large nest:
    Attachment 262996
    As you can see, we have a lot of info in each part. The part number is surrounded by a tag that indicates grain direction, and the tags on the edge tell the shop what kind of extrusions get mounted there.
    These are aluminum composite panels (ACM) for cladding buildings. The panels get bent along the edges where the v grooves allow for flanges. The lines in the center are guides for stiffeners to be glued in.

Another workaround could be an add-in called Keep Selected Items. It will add a button to the Edit menu. This function lets you keep the items you have selected and delete the rest. So you could try turning off all layers, via the layers manager, apart from the Text layer then use the keep function to quickly select all the sheet numbers and delete the rest and then turn all layers back on.

Thanks for your help! I was able to turn off all user layers and then easily select and delete the unwanted numbers.