586,123 active members*
3,279 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Implementing air and lubrication, need some advice and help please.

Implementing air and lubrication, need some advice and help please.

Hello guys,

I have been happily working with my CNCRP machine for a little over year now. Very nice machine. Cuts wood and Aluminum with no problems.
    The challenge I am having now is when cutting aluminum. I am making a mess out of my spoil board and machine overall.

1. I though I read somewhere that when cutting alum. we needed to lubricate the cut to keep it cool, but I recently learned that the lubrication is more about helping the bit stay clear of chip etc.
    as a result of my inexperience I have been using some "bearing oil" and applying it by hand with a dropper as cutting solution and the problem with this is that its oily, and it get splatters all over my spoil board machine and even floor.

I recently read that there are water based solutions for this, which I am going to guess can be easily cleaned with water?.

2. I also want to implement some sort of air blower with some flexible hose. Gain to keep the bit cool (or attempt to) and keep the cut cleat of chips. What type of pumps are used for this? I would like something relatively quiet.

3. Last but not least, does anyone have any tips to keep my making a mess with the oil all over my spoil board? My board is made out of MDF and the oil just seeps into it.

I see mills have some sort of tub...
    Last but not least. I also read I can use plain water or even alcohol as coolant?

Thank you

Re: Implementing air and lubrication, need some advice and help please.

I am thinking of bolting a plastic tube to the spoil board under the alum. stock... ?

I find when doing aluminium if I give it just a quick squirt of WD-40 at the start of the job it stops the swarf from sticking to the cutter and doesn't make much mess at all as any excess is usually a little overspray on the material being machined.

I try and use lanolin based lubes though generally as they are healthier to use and don't smell bad. The next machine I build will have flow coolant built in, but not alcohol based ones. There's a bunch of posts about workshops and businesses that have gone up in flames using combustible coolants.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

If it were me, I would seal your MDF spoilboard. It will take several coats of whatever you seal it with, and once its cured, surface the spoilboard just enough to make sure its flat again. I'd use shellac, since it dries so fast, but WD-40 might dissolve it.....not sure about that.

-Scott